Merry ~ Roast

The smell of your cooking made Merry's mouth water as he entered your home. It had been a long day and he was looking forward to a hot meal and putting his feet up by the fire while you say next to him.

He was about to enter the kitchen to greet you, when you met him at the door.

With a beaming smile, you hugged him. "Hello dear, how are you?"

He returns the smile. "Hungry and tired, but always happy to see you.

You nod enthusiastically. "Good, but I'm afraid I can't let you in here yet dearest, I still have a fair bit to do."

He looked at you strangely, you had never refused him access to the kitchen before. "Well, I'm sure I can help-"

"No!" You gasped quickly. "Merry, you need to go and relax. I've run a nice hot bath for you, so go and clean up and take your time to unwind."

He couldn't miss the gleam in your eye. "What are you up to, darling wife?"

"You will find out soon enough, dearest husband." You said, starting to push him down the hall until he laughed.

"Alright, alright, I get the hint." He quickly bends, placing a kiss on your lips, and moving away to clean up.

Merry took his time, enjoying the relaxing heat and smell of the bath. You'd always refused to tell him what you used in the water, but he just knew it was the best baths that he had ever had.

He could hear you humming away in the kitchen, like you normally did, and it brought him so much peace. After all that happened, he was very lucky to have, something that he adoringly told you everyday.

"Merry?"

Your voice broke him out of his light doze and he yawned widely, thinking that maybe tonight, he would skip supper and head straight for bed.

"Yes darling?"

"Dinner is ready when you are."

Merry grinned, looking forward to whatever you had cooked. Many of the other hobbits grumbled, saying that he had gotten the best cook in the Shire, and Merry always happily agreed with them.

Getting out of the bath and drying himself off, Merry put on his fresh noght clothes and threw a robe around himself before heading towards the dining.

He stopped dead in his tracks.

"What's this then?"

"Surprise!"

Sam, Rosie, Pippin and Lollette (Pippin's wife) were all sitting there with identical grins on their faces. You had the largest grin, one that was full of love and joy, and walked over to him, giving him a big kiss on the cheek.

"Happy birthday dearest."

Birthday? Of course, how had he forgotten his own birthday? He'd been so wrapped up lately in the business of Hobbiton, that he'd had little focus on anything else.

And of course, you knew that.

He gives you an adoring look. "Trust you to remind me of my own affairs."

You laugh. "Well, what are wives for, but to remind their husbands of their own birthdays?"

"I can show you what wives are for." He said playfully before scooping you into his arms and locking you in a passionate kiss.

The others laughed and clapped, and Merry sheepishly pulled away, your cheeks very red.

"This is wonderful." He shoots a glare at Pippin. "But I would've thought you would've told me."

"And suffer the consequences of both your wife and mine? I don't think so Merry." They both laughed.

Merry looked over the table. You had made all his favourites and it all smelled delicious, others in the Shire would be envious for weeks.

His eyes were drawn however, to one particular dish.

"Roast pork." He said longing. "My lady, you do know the way to my heart."

"Of course I do, how else do you think I got you to marry me." You giggled.

The night was spent with good food and laughter. Many tales were regaled and friends were remembered.

Merry, Pippin and Sam had a moment of silence for Frodo.

As the night crept on, cake was brought out, and the drink started to flow a little easier.

Merry had been well and truly distracted from the thought of bed, with his arm wrapped around you and him and Pippin remembering pranks of younger days, he was quite content, even Sam laughed at the memory of some of the pranks, even though a few were against him.

"Remember Gandalf's dragon firework?" Pippin said, a light in his eyes.

"Aye, that was a good night." Merry nods in overenthusiastic style. "That dragon had everyone running!"

"As much a real dragon would, I'd say!" Sam said.

You all laughed, but the three wives all noticed a sad look pass between their husbands, and that was when it was decided to be called a night.

Much talking was still had as they leave your home, filled with as much laughter as earlier, but finally, you and Merry were left alone.

"Well dearest husband, I hope you had a wonderful evening." You were beaming at him widely.

"I had an amazing evening, my darling wife." He wraps his arms around you, and kisses the tip of your nose. "It was a nice distraction from the tiredness I felt all day."

"I am happy that you are happy."

He kisses you on the lips this time, soft and quick. "You really should make that roast pork more often too. It was to divine."

You giggled. "Indeed? I would never have noticed in the way that you and Pippin cleared it off."

He hums, half nodding, as he kisses you again, a hungrier kiss this time, one that you eagerly responded to.

He pulls away again. "Cleaning can wait till morning?"

You smile, taking his hand and leading him to your bedroom, where both of you, very happily, spent the rest of the night.