Thorin ~ Battleborn 4

Evanna stood proud facing the Goblin King, her arms folded.

She was in no mood to be backing down from a fight.

Not that she was ever in the mood from backing down from a fight.

Her and Thorin still weren't talking, despite her practically diving off a cliff to save him.

Now though, it was clear that Thorin wished he could say it all now. Dwalin could see his friend out of the corner of his eye, see the nervousness and fear clear on his face.

Evanna was only making it worse for herself.

"If you expect me to be cowering in my boots before you, you are very wrong." She snarled. "I may be a woman but no dainty daisy am I."

The Goblin King smirked down at her, clearly amused by her defiance. "And if I were to torture you, would you still be so brazen?"

Evanna folded her arms even as Thorin tensed next to Dwalin. They both knew what she was about to say.

"Go ahead. You won't hear a peep out of me."

A cruel smile came over the King and his eyes lit up. "Really? I'm sure your friends would have something else to say about that."

She shrugs. "They can say what they want, but they're not the ones intending to skewer you with a sword once they get close enough."

He laughs. "And how do you intend to do that if you are tied down being tortured?"

"I have my ways."

The Goblin King chuckles. "Right. Just as I have mine for getting the answers I want."

"Good luck."

But a cruel grin comes over the Goblin King's face. "I never said I would the answers from you."

They watch as Evanna's back suddenly tenses, her hands clench and her face pales as she realises, for the first time, that maybe she should learn of the times when to back down from a fight.

"Bring up the mangler! Bring up the bone crusher! Let's see how strong this woman's word truly is." The Goblin King laughs in glee as the goblins cheered around him.

Evanna was standing near frozen, her heart racing, and the first time in her life, she was experiencing the fight or flight response and she did not like it at all.

Flight was winning.

"Wait!"

A new fear suddenly gripped her as she snapped around to look at Thorin, who stood firmly next to her.

The Goblin King's eyes lit up. "Well, well, well, look who it is. Thorin son of Thrain, son of Thror! King under the mountain."

The bow the king does makes Evanna see red, her hands clenching so tightly by her side that she forgot all about running.

"But I forgot, you don't have a mountain, which makes you...nothing really." The smirk made her wish she had her sword then there. "I know of someone who would pay a pretty price for your head. Just the head, nothing attached. Perhaps you know of whom I speak, a pale orc, astride a white warg."

They both froze, but Thorin found his voice.

"Azog the Defiler is dead. He was slain in battle long ago." But Evanna could suddenly hear the unconvinced waver in his voice.

She had been there, had seen him cut the arm from Azog, had seen him being dragged away-

Her jaw clenched at how foolish they had been. They should have made sure a sword went through his heart.

"So you think his defiling days are done do you?" The Goblin King lets out a low laugh and turn to the small goblin next to him. "Send word to the pale orc. We have found his prize."

There was nothing they could do as they watched it wheel away.

The Goblin King's gaze turned back to her. "You seem very eager to step in for her." He grins as his haze flickers back to Thorin's tense form. "Perhaps this is going to be more fun than I first imagined."

Goblins approached Evanna and a low snarl left her, any signs of flight gone from her body, she wanted them to attack, she was itching to have an excuse to the smirk of the King's face.

The first one reached her and she snapped, a heavy kick sending it flying as one coming from behind grabbed her. Her head smashed back into its, a sense of satisfaction as it squealed in pain, before she spun, grabbing the crude weapon at its belt and finishing it off.

Good. Now she was armed.

Unfortunately it meant little on the sheer amount of goblins that could easily amass on her. The Company knew, given the choice, she would fight to death, but that was not meant to be what was in store for her here.

She killed her fair share of goblins before they got her down and bound her hands uncomfortably tight behind her back.

Evanna spat out a mouthful of blood and she had little doubt that she would end up with a black eye later, judging by the way it was smarting. She glared daggers at the Goblin King.

He chuckles. "Well, if looks could kill, you would certainly have me there."

That had her struggle hard against her bonds.

This makes him laugh harder only for a shriek to cut him off and panic to overcome the goblins, the Goblin King threw himself back into his throne as Thorin's sword landed heavily next to her.

Orcrist gleamed.

Evanna's eyes went wide as she knew what was about to happen.

"Kill them! Kill them all!" The Goblin King hollered.

Evanna barely thought as she sprung up and barged straight into a goblin heading for Thorin, who already had three others on him, chaos erupting around them. She landed hard down, Orcrist under her, the blade digging into her fingers as she tried to cut the ropes holding her.

Despair struck her as she watched a knife raised over Thorin.

The wave of light hit them hard. Evanna yelped as she tumbled towards the edge, unable to catch herself.

Most of her went over before she jerked to a halt.

Her shirt pulled painfully against her throat, having gotten lodged on Orcrist's hilt, which had become wedged in between the wood.

And she could feel it slipping.

"A little help would be appreciated!" She called, ignoring the sound of fear in her own voice.

Two pairs of hands grab her then and haul her back up. She gasped for air as she looks up at worried looking Dwalin and a half terrified looking Thorin.

She smiles. "Thanks."

Evanna was on her feet in a flash and one of them finally cut the ropes around her hands and she was able to pick up her own sword and join the fight.

But there was no way they could fight them all, even she knew that. Which only gave them one choice.

They ran.