Boromir ~ Shield 4

We left Lothlorien all with a sense of peace. Aragorn was happy for Boromir and I who now rarely left each others side.

Boromir and I shared a boat with Merry and Pippin, happily talking away. Between Aragorn and I we told many stories about the river and the old things that happened or related, impressing all of our companions.

As dusk approached, we pulled onto the bank to rest. As we set up, I could hear Legolas talking to Aragorn, but didn't really pay much attention.

"Mika," I look up at Aragorn. "Where is Boromir?"

I looked around, noticing that Boromir had indeed gone, leaving his shield behind, but he wasn't the only missing.

"Where's Frodo?" Sam asks, causing Legolas and Aragorn to share a look.

A worried feeling overtook me, and I gnawed my lip for a moment, wondering what to do.

"We will go find them." Aragorn says. "Stay here and watch camp."

But even as he walks away, the discomfort gets worse, and I know that I have to do something.

Grabbing Boromir's shield, I take off into the woods.

It didn't take me long to pick up his trail, following Frodo. I knew he had been struggling with the knowledge that the ring would be destroyed, but I never thought that he would do anything to act on it.

My worry increased when I found the site of a scuffle.

Gnawing my lip, I looked around.

"Boromir?" I called, but received no response.

I found a new trail, just of his footsteps and started to follow when I heard it.

Many footfalls were fast approaching.

My eyes widened, fear filling my heart. We were going to be attacked and we were vastly outnumbered.

A horrid screech got my attention and I spun as an orc charged at me. I raised Boromir's shield, deflecting the blow and quickly drew my own sword.

The orc wasn't alone, but it seems only a small force was around me, many simply passing by. I wasn't used to fighting with a shield, but I was not willing to let it go, not with so many around.

I was dispatching the last of them near me when the sound of a horn made me stop.

"Boromir." I breathed, my chest clenching painfully.

I dispatched the closest orc and started to run.

Boromir's horn sounded again and I could feel my heart hammering. I knew that Boromir would only sound that horn if he needed help.

I reached the top of a hill, killing several orcs along the way, and i froze.

Boromir was below, defending Merry and Pippin, and at the other side of the crest, was a large orc, a bow drawn in his hand.

I was running before I knew what I was doing, the slope adding to my speed, and my grip tightened on the shield.

I halted in front of Boromir just as the orc released his string. The arrow struck the shield hard and I staggered back, the arrow splintering through the shield and just missing my eye as I crashed back into Boromir.

His hands gripped me as I stared, momentarily stunned, as the arrow head.

"You alright?"

His voice snapped me out of it, and I slipped my arm out of the shield and hurriedly passed it to him.