Dwalin ~ Hugs

"You're such a softy." You laugh as Dwalin's face starts to turn pink. "You can play it tough all you wish, but I know you, you big bear, you're as soft as they come."

By now, Dwalin's face was bright red, Fili and Kili snickering away behind him. The battle was over, the mountain reclaimed and Erebor was flourishing again under the rule of Thorin.

And you were tired of being coy with Dwalin.

Everyone knew that the burly dwarf had a soft spot for you, and everyone knew that you more than admired the warrior. Throughout the quest, you'd constantly tried to talk to Dwalin about it, but he would often walk away when it got into more serious things.

You'd been together on and off for years, but now that you had reclaimed your home, you wanted something more.

Something you knew that Dwalin too wanted.

"I'm not soft." Dwalin grunts gruffly, folding his arms across his chest. "I don't know what you are on about."

But you wag a finger at him. "Don't give me that Dwalin, I know it and they all know it too." You raise an eyebrow. "Should I give examples?"

The brothers giggles broke over and Dwalin shoots them a furious glare, making them scoot away from the warrior.

"Please don't." He says, his eyes pleading.

"Oh? Is that an admission to it then?"

"No."

"Well," You dramatically sigh. "I guess I just have to start listing things."

"Y/N. Don't." He part pleaded, part warned.

But you smirked at the warrior. If he was unwilling to have this discussion in private, then what choice did you have but to do it now, in front of everyone. You gave a quick look at Balin, who nods in encouragement.

"Hmmm, where do I start?" You feign thinking. "The second time we met, you bought me a large bunch of flowers, trying to tell me that you just happened to find them along the way."

Dwalin's face turned scarlet.

"After, what was it? Three months? You went to kiss me only to crack your head on mine so hard I saw stars."

It wasn't just the brothers laughing now, most of the company were covering their mouths to hide their smiles and snickers.

"We'd been together a year before you finally put the courting braid in." You twirled the braid in your fingers, the small steel bead gleaming in the light. "Only to say it was because you simply didn't want anyone else to have me, even though you weren't ready to court yet."

This stopped some of the snickering, as they looked between you.

"I wasn't," Dwalin grunted. "We were both young and-"

"That was twenty six years ago Dwalin. We weren't that young." For a moment, a note of bitterness took to your tone. "Do you not think that is long enough?"

Dwalin does not answer, glaring at you.

"I've left it in despite it all Dwalin, because I know you, and I haven't wanted to be with anyone else." You looked at him seriously.

But Dwalin was doing everything possible to show that he was unfazed. "Well, we both made some crappy choices then."

"Maybe you have, I certainly haven't." Without missing a beat, you continued. "Alright softy, what about all the times you came to me for a hug?"

Dwalin's face practically went purple as many of the Company stared.

"Hug?"

"Is he even capable of hugs?"