Chapter 39- Don't Blink

So recently I was scrolling through my comments and saw one about how Danny and how she had left Richard (her adoptive father) so quickly and without a second thought. Please let me share how I explained this.

As this was at the beginning when I first wrote this, I wanted to get to the adventures with the Doctor as quickly as possible. But, Richard, even though he was there, he didn't spend much time with her. There will be a chapter later on when she returns, a little older, a little wiser, and apologizes for leaving him so abruptly. Danielle is only 18, and I believe that the prospect of a fun-filled life seemed better to her than sitting at home doing nothing.

Yes, she did abandon him. But, Danny never felt he cared very much considering he spent so much time at his job... Or that was the lie she told herself. Danielle is a very strong-minded character, I believe, and will do what she wants.

But please, I'm sorry if it made her seem like a horrible person. I didn't want to bore you guys with talk of her arguing to go with the Doctor. Trust me, she is beginning to miss him, even though she doesn't show it.

Now, on with the story.

Danielle's POV

Calvin hands me the steaming bowl of food, licking his finger. "It's good, trust me." I glance at the street vendor and smile, nodding to the food. "It's very good."

Calvin puts his hand around my waist, moving through the street as people stroll by, their conversations a constant rumble.

"My dad always wanted to go here," I say, my heart suddenly aching.

"I know, I saw him. The Doctor-"

"No, not the Doctor. My adoptive father..." I sigh, wiping my hands on my pants. "Richard."

Have I missed him? After being gone for almost three weeks, have I begun to miss him?

I clear my throat, looking at Calvin closely. "He wasn't home a lot, but... I guess I never realized how much he cared for me. Maybe I have grown up. Maybe these adventures have shaped me more than I have known."

Calvin smiles, kissing my temple. "I miss my parents too." I look at him, smiling back. "Here, have some of this. It's amazing."

I lift the bowl to his lips, letting him sip the steaming liquid, the salty flavour making him chuckle. "Do you think the Doctor will let me go visit him? Maybe we could take him somewhere, just to make up for me ..." I pause, not wanting to say the word. "For me abandoning him."

"Oh come on! Of course he will let you! I'd fancy meeting him too, I want to make sure he's alright with me dating you." I laugh, taking his hand and walking further into the city.

Doctor's POV

"We need to find Danny and Calvin. Quickly, because they could already be in trouble." I say, River jogging beside me. "Yes, yes! Save your breath."

I grin at her, speeding to a run as the town lingers ahead, a sound making me turn. "Did you hear that?" She says, her fingers grabbing mine and pulling me faster.

"Doctor!"

We skid to a halt, an angel standing in front of us, smiling. "Oh no. You don't think..." Melody's voice shakes slightly, but I begin to move around the statue, taking a breath. "No, I can't believe they are gone. It hasn't got them yet."

"Just don't blink." I say, letting River walk around it to join me. "We should take turns, each of us running a distance and then the other running to meet them. That way our eyes are always on it."

"Alright. Alright. Let's do this."

Slowly, steadily, we make our way towards the city. The angel now hundreds of meters away, our eyes straining to keep it's back facing us.