Chapter One - In which I gain a Weasley guard

"Oi, watch where you're going!" 

Ignoring the loud gruff voice, I push through the crowds. It would be easy for me to blame the Muggle cab driver for being this late, however with the lack of sleep from the night before, the excuse was far from the truth. Scanning the different platform numbers, I almost cry in relief as I walk through to platform 9 and 3/4. With this shambles of a morning, I could easily be mixed up as a first-year. 

Unfortunately, I do not have that luxury to excuse my behaviour. 

The Hogwarts Express whistles impatiently. 

Families surround the platform, each saying their goodbyes for the year. Mothers reminding their children to make sure they write to them every week, fathers smiling tightly as if they cannot believe another summer has finally come and gone, younger siblings eyeing the train with jealousy. 

Shaking my head, I drag my trunk through the closest door. To my horror, it splits and my grip on it loosens. The trunk splits open and what little possessions I have are scattered on the floor. Growling in frustration, I stuff my clothes back into the stupid trunk. Whilst other students have their family surrounding them for goodbyes, the only thing I have to my name is this damn trunk. A second hand one I inherited from my father; perhaps the only useful thing he's left me. 

This is not the time to get sentimental, I scoff at myself. Seeing families on this day is always difficult and it might have a small factor in why I left as late as possible. Truth be told, I always have the option of going earlier with Severus, but the whole idea of that makes me sick. It singles me out more. Also an infinitesimally small part of me actually enjoys watching these scenes. 

"Hey, you forgot this!" A cheery voice calls and I look up to see a friendly face covered with untidy red hair. I roll my eyes. 

Trust my luck to interact with a Weasley. 

Snatching the top from his hands, I pull the the trunk into the train. To my annoyance, he lifts up the bottom end and helps me take it into the train. 

"A simple thank you would have been nice, but I'll take that death glare for today," he says in the same cheery voice causing me to scowl. The morning was turning out to be more punishing than I first thought it was. Pushing past the other students, I try to avoid the looks I get. To my annoyance, the redheaded boy follows me. 

For the past four years of my Hogwarts experience, I've managed to avoid them all like the black plague. Despite being sorted into Gryffindor, I became pretty good at keeping to myself. It helps when false rumours spread around the school like wildfire. Yet I couldn't help but be intrigued by this family. They were always smiling and joking around despite their poor backgrounds. Their kindness always freaked me out. Nobody is kind to strangers for no reasons, there is always another motive; a lesson I was taught from the tender age of five. 

Losing my father left me with no real family. Alone and abandoned, it was only when Severus decided to take care of me that I had some form of stability. But I kept that lesson close to my heart, everything in life is temporary. The world does not give anyone favours, not even those who are less fortunate. Everyone gets treated the same. 

People like me end up living a crappier life than everyone else.

"So, what's your name anyways?" He continues, as I scoff. He knows my name. How could he not? We've been in the same house for the past four years. My eyes scan each compartment, desperate to find an empty one. 

"Can you not talk or something?"

Gritting my teeth, I have to stop myself from punching him. It doesn't help that I can basically hear the smile on his face, as if he knows he's getting under my skin. My temper has always gotten the better of me and it's one of the reasons I like to keep to myself. It helps that no one really knows the truth of what happened to my father, but if they did, I would probably be outcasted as an embarrassment to my family name. Even with their messed up version of the truth, everyone automatically is wary of me.