Chapter Two - In which I'd live off pastries

Sitting at the back of the hall, I stare across the table at his red hair, making sure that he doesn't catch me. He breaks out in a wide grin as he passes Lee Jordan a plate full of pies. His brother nudges him cheekily, muttering something that causes his cheeks to match his hair colour. 

The chatter around me doesn't bother me as I zone out, thinking about the weird train ride into school. George Weasley had insisted on sitting in the same compartment for the whole journey and after the unusual outburst of mine, I made sure not to say another word throughout the ride. They managed to keep themselves entertained easily enough though. Lee Jordan joined us after a while, grumbling that he had spent the past half an hour looking for the twins. He shared a look with Fred at my presence but didn't comment aside from introducing himself. I gave him a stiff nod, but didn't offer any introductions from my behalf. 

George filled in the gap for me, introducing me by my surname, another action that made me pause. It's not the fact that he remembered it, but more so that he took it upon himself to introduce me to his friend. Scowling at him, I rested my head against the window, watching the little towns turn into rolling highlands as we zoomed through the countryside.

Visitors would pop by to greet the boys and ask them about their summer. Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger from my year poked their heads in to check up on us as part of their Prefect duty. Both twins sniggered at the look Ron gave Hermione, but I also noted how they used their robes to hide the goods they were showing Lee. The Prefects didn't stay long, and soon enough, the boys were back to discussing the marketing of their products. I tried to remain uninterested, but hearing them talk about how each product was developed caught my interest. Particularly one about an eavesdropping ear. 

By the time we were half way there, other students began knocking on the door asking for Weasley goods. Word spread quickly, I was surprised Hermione Granger hadn't caught on already. The crowds continued to grow and it terrified me to have that many people close to me in such a confined space. I'm not claustrophobic but I've always been cautious about being in small spaces. They would all shoot me uneasy looks but aside from that, they left me be. All the same, after the tenth person knocked on the door, I slipped out to walk down the train. By the time I got back, the crowd had vanished.

"I told them they have to wait till we get to school," George had said with a shrug. Did he realise it was bothering me? I've been so good at masking my emotions, it would suck to know that I'm slipping. Fred spent the rest of the journey marveling at how much the interest had grown over the summer, but I did not say another word. At some point I fell asleep, only to be woken up by George as we arrived. He didn't say another word to me, leaving me alone in the compartment to my thoughts. 

Severus did not come back to check up on us, but I was sure wherever he was, I was going to be in trouble when I next saw him. 

Avoiding his piercing glare, I watch as Hermione scolds Ron for eating too quickly and being messy. Ron shoots her a look but then hastily wipes his mouth as soon as she turns to talk to Ginny Weasley.  It's obvious he's got something for her, but for some reason he doesn't make a move. 

Harry Potter picks at his potatoes moodily, it looks like it wasn't a good holiday for him either. I vaguely remember reading about a Ministry hearing in the Daily Prophet, but I don't keep up with that garbage. Scanning the rest of the table of Gryffindors, all of them were smiling and laughing as they caught up with their friends.

I don't belong here at all. 

It was the biggest surprise to me when the Sorting Hat placed me in this house, especially considering my past. Severus had reassured me that the Sorting Hat did not care for fake names, but more about who the individual was. All the same, it's surprising. My father was a Death Eater, I'm the last living descendant of the Fowler family. From my knowledge, it's one filled with dark wizards, all of whom died supporting You-Know-Who.