Chapter 42 - In which I gain an unexpected ally

The days zoom by and before I know it, there's only a couple of days left until I have to return to Hogwarts. I have the weirdest feeling about it all. Part of me is happy that I can finally rid myself of this place and another part is feeling a bit lost about it all. I feel like my cover has been completely compromised. It's got me thinking about everything and what exactly I've gotten myself into. 

Maybe Snape was right. Maybe this is all just too much for me. 

Sighing I fold another sweater and place it on the top of my trunk. The Dark Lord cannot be allowed to finish what he started. Not if it comes at a cost of what my father died trying to stop. He tried to preserve choice and family and freedom. It's up to me to continue this legacy. It's the only link I have to my family. 

But even if I just took a step back for a second and detached myself from everything, I doubt I will be able to separate the reasons why I'm doing all this. It's partly due to the fact that I've sacrificed so much of who I am, my life that I had, the friends I had, everything. The biggest problem is the fact that even if I decided to run away from all this, I'd have nothing to run to. That's the part that hits me the most and it's like I'm just realising how big of a hit I'm dealing with. 

"You always have that look on your face," a voice makes me jump. My hand instinctively goes for my wand but then I remember I'm at the Weasleys. There's no threat here.

"And you used to do that as well," George muses as he comes further into the room.

"Care to explain?" I grumble as I continue putting my tops in the half-packed trunk. 

"Nope," George says popping the p. I scowl, only to make him smile even wider. He's been doing this a lot, just making weird comments about my behaviour and every time he has this smile on his face as if it's a sign that the previous version of me is still there. Here's hoping he's not completely wrong like I believe him to be.

"When are you going back to the store?" I say trying to make casual conversation between us. Truth be told, we haven't been able to talk much since the Minister popped by unexpectedly on Christmas day. I had found out later on that the other man was yet another Weasley but one that's estranged from the family. The anger on George's face at just the mention of the whole Christmas fiasco tells me that he's not yet ready to know all my secrets, especially the one concerning the mark engraved into my left forearm. 

So in that way, I'm happy to be leaving the Burrow because the more time I spend here, the more likely I am to spill yet another secret and forget that there's a whole world out there that is depending on me to do my job. Just like Potter has his burden, I have my own and I can't be getting too caught up with some old lost flame just because he makes me feel good. 

It's selfish.

"I'm not too sure, Fred might go tonight," George says offhandedly. I raise my eyebrows at that comment. 

"And what exactly are you planning to do?" I ask hoping my own tone sounds casual but my voice betrays me and I sound like a squeaking mouse. 

"I don't know yet, I guess it depends..." George trails off for a second. My packing gets more frantic as if my mind is tricking me into think that packing faster will mean I can somehow escape from this whole situation. 

"Depends on what?" My eyes narrow suspiciously as George just frowns at me. 

"Well it depends on you," he says in a low voice as he steps in between me and my trunk. My hands balls into fists and I close my eyes momentarily. 

"Lily listen to me," George says in a low voice. He glances behind him to check that we're alone and then turns to face me, the look on his face unreadable.