Chapter 40 - In which Weasley meets Fowler

Cause we all get lost sometimes, you know? It's how we learn and how we grow. And I wanna lay with you 'til I'm old
You shouldn't be fighting on your own

****

I stare out of the window my eyes stinging slightly from the crying. Crying is a sign of weakness, but why do I feel so strong now that I've let it all out? Finally it's like this huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders but it's not what I thought it would be like. I've just burdened someone else. Or were they already burdened by their own choice? 

Snow falls, getting thicker by the second as it gets hard to see what's outside. I have a decision to make. He has a decision to make. Glancing back at him, I almost feel pity. This wasn't the conversation that he thought would happen. I can't help but treat him the way I do, he's just a stranger to me. A confusing stranger, but a stranger all the same. 

Honesty is important, but sometimes holding back the truth is just as important if it means protecting the ones you care about. And that's what I'm doing. I'm protecting everyone I care about. 

He sighs as he burrows his head further into his hands. I wish I could read minds so that I could help him with his decision. Communication is also key in any relationship or so I hear. Here we are, side by side, each one too scared to tell the other what their thinking. Right now I need a miracle, we both do. 

***TWO HOURS EARLIER***

Come on Lily. You can do this. You're a Fowler for Merlin's sake! You're the one who should cause fear in people not be rendered like a scared little chicken cause you think he knows your biggest secret. 

Yeah that's right. It was just a dream. It's going to be fine. I'm just being stupid. 

I should go back to bed. Yes. This was all some weird dream I had and the effects of it. Who knows, I could still be half asleep right now. Then why do I have this huge lump in my throat? Why is it that my legs feel like they can no longer support the rest of my body? Why is it that just even considering for a second that I've let everyone down makes me want to curl up in a ball and just cry my eyes out? 

No. 

My name is Lily Fowler. Daughter of Ben Fowler and proud. I am not afraid. 

I hear shuffling inside causing my heart rate to speed up again. He's awake. Of course he's awake. It's not even that late. Who am I kidding, it's like 2am or something. It's probably just a rat or something. It's fine. He's not awake. I can just sneak away and laugh about this whole thing tomorrow morning. But my legs seem to be glued to the floor and no matter how much I want to move, they remain firmly locked in their place. 

Just count to ten Lily. That always works. Yeah. One, two, three, four.

But I don't even get to half way before the shuffling gets louder and turns into footsteps that are quickly approaching the door. Before I can even think about an excuse or anything I find myself standing in front of a shirtless man. 

He frown at me as I stare at him wide-eyed unable to say a word. His frown gets deeper as he glances at something in his room. This was a bad idea. This was a very bad idea. I mean now I'm just getting hot and flustered as well as feeling like the world's about to end. 

But I just purse my lips and try my best to give what I hope looks like a glare. I need to keep up appearance, and that includes not looking weak. 

"Can I help you?" He asks finally and my eyes widen as I realise something. It's quickly confirmed when I hear another guy call out from inside the room.