Chapter Twelve - In which I do something reckless

Christmas as a holiday was always spent with Severus. It involved hot chocolate, some magical snow, a little tinsel and generally spending the time in each other's company. The little traditions we created over the years make it feel more special. As a child, I would wake up extremely early and instead of waking my guardian up, I wanted to surprise him with a breakfast. 

It was a mess. 

A bleary eyed Severus would walk into the kitchen to see an assortment of ingredients thrown into a large mixing bowl in my attempt to make pancakes. His eyes would blink tiredly at the scene before smiling and wishing me a Merry Christmas. We'd end up spending the morning making pancakes and then we would play games for the rest of the afternoon. As I grew older, the latter half of the day no longer stayed the same, but we'd always start the morning with pancakes. 

Even when I was annoyed with him and refused to spend Christmas with him, I still found pancakes in my room sent by a house-elf. It's a tradition that has survived the worst of our fights and arguments. 

So it made perfect sense as to why I demanded to use the kitchen on Christmas Eve. The idea of not sending my guardian pancakes did not settle well with me. Ginny found the whole arrangement sickeningly sweet, but she still agreed to help me with mixing the batter. Fred and George were out sourcing a good tree for us all to decorate later.

"It says to only add two eggs," Ginny retorts as she reads through her mother's recipe. Shaking my head I grab a couple more and place them on the counter.

"Well I've always used four," I mutter as I put the other ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Ginny rolls her eyes at me before grabbing the milk and holding it out to me expectantly. I pour in the amount I usually do, knowing that it's completely different to how Mrs. Weasley usually makes her pancakes. But this is not for her, nor is it for any of the residents here. These pancakes are for my guardian, as a sort of reminder that no matter where I am, I'll always remember our Christmas traditions. 

"So have you had any other ideas?" Ginny asks as I pour some of the batter on the hot pan. 

"What do you mean?" I lie knowing exactly what she was talking about. Ginny steps to the side, her long ginger hair obscuring my vision. Pushing her away I scowl. "Alright fine, I haven't okay?" I mutter as she gives me a pointed look. 

"You should just do what I suggested," Ginny grins mischievously causing my cheeks to redden.

"I can't, you know I can't," I whisper back furiously. It's one thing to discuss that in the safety of our dormitory where no one else can head us, but the thought of Fred or worse, George walking in and overhearing our conversation makes me anxious. 

"Yes you can, he'll appreciate it. You'll be getting a one of those infamous firsts," Ginny's grin turns into a smirk and if I wasn't so busy concentrating on these pancakes, I would have punched her. As if she can read my intentions, she steps away slightly.

"You can't be serious," I glare at the pan, refusing to meet her eyes. 

"She's not, I'm Sirius," a voice calls from behind us making me scowl. "What are you making?" He asks as he approaches the stove. 

"Pancakes for her guardian," Ginny replies as Sirius raises his eyebrows. Breaking the news that Severus Snape was in actual fact my guardian went down strangely with Sirius. After making us all confirm that we weren't playing a trick on him, he apologised to me for torture that must have been a childhood with Severus. I glared at him, anger bubbling, but it was George who stepped in before I let Sirius know what I really thought of his opinions. 

"Let me put chili sauce in one of them," Sirius asks his eyes glinting. Scoffing, I flip the pancake. "Come on, I'll only put it in one. It will be hilarious." He grins, reaching out for the hot sauce bottle.