Chapter 71 - In which the Weasley twins return to Hogwarts

Emilia Fowler was never one to chase men who were fixated on others. She was raised to be a strong young lady- a force to be reckoned with. Yet after a moment of weakness she allowed herself to believe he actually cared. Of course she should have known that he was just trying to look for a distraction. It was the day of Potter and Evans' wedding, but she wouldn't know that until much later and by then- it was already too late.

Perhaps if she had just stayed with Ben and Tom like they had planned, none of this would have happened. But she was tired of feeling like the third wheel and craving the company of someone who actually wanted to be with her.

Had she gone to Malfoy Manor would she have found comfort with another man? Another Death Eater who chose their path too young and looking for a distraction?

No- fate would have intervened.

Her anger at him was enough to ensure she ended up in his arms. He broke her in ways she never thought was possible. To think his attention on her was a means to hide his true feelings for another. She always knew about the love he held for Evans, but never did she consider that it meant the love they shared was never real.

At first she was just trying to help out Ben. His closest friend was spiraling into psycho level craziness at a rate that was alarmingly concerning. But somewhere along the way, the days she spent with him became something more. He began to pay attention and noticed her little quirks. He helped her heal just like she helped him move on- or so she thought.

Benjamin Fowler always knew Severus Snape was a flawed person. Obsessed with a girl that had no interest in him romantically, seeking ways to manipulate others around him to gain power, never showing his true intentions. He was always cautious about telling him the truth about his lover - how could he trust him?

They were barely out of Hogwarts, pretending to be adults in a world where being different meant you were killed. Where you took every opportunity to appreciate loved ones. Had he known where Emilia would have ended up, he would never have allowed her to leave. She was distraught enough as it was. Talking about some prophecy rumours, ones that did not involve a summer born boy, but it was enough for her to question her future. Whether she'd ever be able to find someone to fall head over heels for.

He should have told her that she was jut being paranoid. That the mother spoken of in the prophecy was nothing like her. That no matter what, he would always ensure she was taken care of - it would barely make a dent in the debt he owed to her anyways.

But that would mean the illegitimate child, born with a soul so pure it could be used for the darkest of spells, would never have come to be. The beacon of hope for a mother looking for the love she craved. The blissful year she shared carrying the child, the wedding vow she made to cover the truth and the unbreakable vow made to protect her salvation.

Hindsight is cruel like that.

Choices made by broken souls looking for someone to hold the pieces together, would have always been made. At least she had the privilege of watching her little girl grow up in the arms of her best friend- a better father than she could have ever prayed for. But the more shocking change in character was the man who helped her find some peace during her most vulnerable night.

Perhaps the child was his salvation as well.

The only part she found annoying was the fact that he had the audacity to name her after Evans. After all this time, he still chose to name their daughter after the woman he obsessed over.

Watching Lily choose to take her name, even if it was as an alias, made her heart swell with pride. The smirk on Sev's lips could not ruin her mood, nor could the eye roll she got from her husband as they watched from Beyond.