Chapter 50 - In which my fire demon takes an untimely vacation

"Focus," I mutter in a low voice as I stare at the tree in the distance. My fingers flex as I try to zone out the rest of the background. 

My palms reach out as my fingers point towards the tree. Breathe in, breathe out. Remember what he said. Close your eyes and clear your mind. Empty it of any thoughts or worries. Just be present in this one moment. 

You're acting like a child.

Snape's voice sneers; the sound rings loudly in my ears. Growling in frustration I shake my head and angrily kick a stone. Every single time I try to concentrate and train, all that happens is that I remember Snape's words. It's like I don't even know how to not to think about it. 

I've even started talking in my sleep, just repeating all the things that were said between us in our last encounter. That was almost three months ago. We're at the end of the year and Snape still doesn't acknowledge me.

I would think with all this time he would change his mind, or at least soften up a little so that we could have a conversation, but it's actually the opposite. The closer we get to the end of the year, the more distant he becomes. He's made his choice and honestly I think I'm struggling to accept it. I feel abandoned. 

I'm driving myself insane with all the regret and guilt over what was said, but I've still got so much anger. This immeasurable anger that I have no idea where the source is from, but it feels like I just want to tear something apart. 

Sighing I run my fingers through my curls. 

"You okay?" A voice calls causing me to jump. I turn and instantly smile, my earlier mood somewhat vanishing. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. I just needed some air," I say as George approaches me. He's accompanied by Fred, Ginny and Ron. Merlin knows where Potter is, but he's been spending a lot of time with Dumbledore recently so I assume that's where he is. It sucks to know that I'm not only second choice to my guardian but also Dumbledore- a wizard I actually look up to.

"Like I believe that for a second," George says giving me a hard look as he passes me a broom. I purse my lips but don't say anything. Ever since the argument, George does not want me to practice. He thinks it's too dangerous especially considering how out of control my anger can get these days. 

"We were thinking to play a game of Quidditch- you know since little Ginny has finished her OWLs," Fred says as I notice their all holding their brooms. Both George and Fred decided to make visits every month to just check in with all of us since Ron's poisoning. But it was just a cover for George and I's training sessions. When George told me that he no longer thought that it would be a good idea to train, I thought these visits would stop, but they still came. 

It's been nice. It gives me a minute or so to just push all my troubles aside. 

"Perhaps when I completely thrash your OWL scores, maybe you won't find me so little anymore," Ginny scowls.

"Now now Ginny. We both know that is too easy of a task. Beat Bill and then you'll have my attention," Fred continues causing Ron to object. 

"What about me? I beat you guys!" Ron demands as Fred pats him on the shoulder.

"Ronald you should know it's not good to compare yourself to your siblings," Fred says with a smile. But Ron seems to take his bait and starts going on about how none of his family properly appreciate him. I, on the other hand, find it all rather amusing. 

"Maybe we should settle our disputes like men in the air," George suggests giving me a wink. I just shake my head at him as both Ginny and I share a look. All three of them know that Ginny is actually a really good Chaser and aside from Potter, she's quite a decent Seeker too.