Chapter 43 - In which I take back control of my life

Green light blasts all around me and I hear an unnerving scream, so loudly that it's almost as if that's the only sound in the world. At the same time there's deafening silence. The silence that you could drown in because all you've got is the sound of your own heart pumping away as if it's reminding you that you're still alive, as if you're so helpless you actually need reminding of that fact. 

Gasping, I struggle to reach for my wand. I can fix this. I can undo all the evil. I can be better. I should have known I couldn't trust him. I should have known that this would only end one way. My fingers stretch out, tracing the hard pavement as they try to reach my wand. 

My finger slides over the cool oak and for a second I feel a sense of calming relief. But before my hand can get a firm grip of the wand, a foot steps on it preventing me from trying to help, trying to salvage the mission I came here to do, trying to.... escape. 

I glance up and catch a glimpse of silvery hair. My heart drops. The look in his eyes doesn't suggest that he would hurt me right? Or kill me? I feel the balls of sweat form on my forehead as I grunt struggling to get up. The blast has taken all the energy out of me. It's like my sense are all disorientated and I don't know which way is up or down. I know my feet won't be able to hold me steady and my legs definitely won't be able to hold me up, but I still try, keeping a firm grip on my wand. 

The boy chuckles sadly. "There's no use trying to fight, it's over."  

I shake my head. No, no it can't be over. I'm not finished. I can fight. I can fix this. 

"I told you, you're not going to like what I had planned," the boy says softly, his eyes betraying all his emotions. Sadness, grief, horror and fear. Fear stands out to me. How can he be scared when he is the one who caused all this pain? I stare at the ground with the heaps of bodies lying around. This boy came from a dark family, just like I, but we're on such different paths. I'm fighting to preserve hope and a better free future for everyone whereas he singlehandedly destroyed everything I fought for. 

"Tell me Lily, do you think the Dark Lord will be willing to forgive me if I told him your secret?" he says in a twisted voice. My heart starts pumping faster. I can feel the blood pumping to my ears and I glare up at him. 

"Will he be merciful when he realises I wasn't the real coward. It was you. You who hid in the shadows and refused to show your true intentions. You who pretended to continue your family legacy. You who turned out to be just like your father... A pathetic fool wh-" 

But he's unable to finish as my hand leaves the wands and grabs his leg instead sending as much energy as I can muster. It's surprisingly easy. Nobody disrespects my father. 

"Lily?"

The smell of burning doesn't even irritate me anymore. He deserved that. He has caused so much darkness so much pain. 

"Lily!" 

I refuse to feel guilty for his death. He was going to compromise my mission just like I had intended to compromise his. Neither of us managed it. The only difference is that I get to live another day to fight. I get to right my wrongs. 

"LILY!!" 

My eyes fly open. Where am I? What's going on? I feel like I've just been in a shower or something. My hands frantically go to my face and I try to stop the world from shaking. 

"Lily, Lily calm down! Deep breaths okay? Just take deep breaths." 

One. Two. Three. The mark on my arm stings badly as if it's calling me. As if I'm being summoned. No. I can't be summoned now. I don't want to see the Dark Lord. I don't want to do anything right now. I just want the world to stop spinning and make sense of everything.