Chapter 31 - In which I get parent trapped by Dumbledore

Snape seemed extremely smug as I walked past him earlier. Of course the announcement at the feast was a dream come true for him, the only other thing that would please him more is becoming Headmaster or something. 

I scowl at a couple of first-years who took to staring at me. The sorting ceremony was really uncomfortable for me, I mean I was sitting with a bunch of Gryffindors and felt really out of place. Watching little Syltherins get sorted into their house made me even more sick. I know pretty much all of their parents and have seen them do unspeakable acts. 

I don't belong here anymore. I don't belong in Slytherin and I definitely don't belong here in Gryffindor. 

Pushing past the crowd of people, I take a seat on the furthest corner of the table. It's the first day of my sixth year and what should be a year of excitement, wonder and just generally having fun- is now a year I'm going to spend risking my life to protect this lie. My eyes narrow at Potter who glares stonily at Malfoy. What's his problem? There can't be a reason for him to have something against Malfoy already. I mean the first day has barely begun!

Using my mug as a shield, I glance towards Malfoy. He looks like he barely slept last night too. He's eyes look sunken as the Parkinson girl talks animately to him. What's going on in his mind? Never did I think I would find someone even more emotionally conflicted than I, yet here I am, in competition with no one other Malfoy. 

Weirdly enough I just want to go and help him. Make sure he's okay. I know that my motives are selfish, because once I figure out where he's okay, I'm going to expect him to do his Malfoy mind reading power and realise that I'm far from okay. I have friends that I don't even remember befriending. I have a... I have George who I don't even want to think about right now, but he's stolen every thought of mine since the train ride yesterday. 

I'm a hundred percent sure that the first time I spoke to him was on the train last year, and I definitely remember feeling irritated with him and wanting him to leave. I remember fighting with him and telling him to leave me alone because I don't do friendship with anyone. He listened to me... He stayed away... I think. 

But then if that's all true, how could he- we- possibly have a relationship? 

Two piercing blue eyes meet my own, empty yet at the same curious. I hold the gaze steady, silently asking him if everything's okay. Whether the initiation process went alright. Whether his mark is paining him just as badly as my own. I just want someone to talk to. Someone that I hope will understand that I want to leave the past in the past and move on.

No Lily. 

Why am I being so pathetic for? I never needed moral support before, so why do I need it now? This mission is for me and me alone. Involving anyone else would jeopardize it. All this needing is an Argent trait and one I'm not in the mood to deal with today. 

I dump my mug on the table and leave the Hall without another word. Malfoy did give me an odd look, but I ignored it. It's time I started focusing on my mission instead of focusing on what I did or did not do in my past life. 

With that in mind I stalk to the one place I should have gone to the second that I stepped into this place. 

But I don't have to go to Dumbledore's office to see him. Walking past Snape's room, I catch a glimpse of his long silvery beard causing me to stop in my tracks. Snape and Dumbledore? What is going on? Is Snape doing an undercover mission for the Dark Lord that I didn't know about? But then again, since when am I included in that many plans? 

I hover by the door, not wanting to be seen and listen into their conversation.

"You don't understand the stakes," Snape says curtly. "I think even you can find yourself underestimating the trust people have."