Chapter Seventeen - In which George is my birthday fairy

Staring at the photo frame Sirius gave me, I trace the edges of the picture sadly. A part of me wishes that I could make them all proud of me. Constantly conflicted between good and evil, but life is not as simple as that. My family as wrong as they may have been, were doing what they believed to be right and it cost them their lives. George is right, I need to forgive myself for their mistakes. Tears spring up in my eyes as I stroke my father's smiling face.

"It's okay, I'm ready to forgive you now," I whisper in the dark room. I have no idea what the time is but I couldn't sleep and a part of me wanted to do this before the day was over. "I forgive you for choosing the wrong side. I forgive you for killing innocent people because you thought you were building a better world for your daughter. I forgive yo- I forgive you for leaving me all alone," I choke out the last part and it feels like a huge weight has been removed from my shoulders.

"I miss you guys," I mouth not able to trust my voice anymore. It's not fair that I had to grow up without a family and for once I let myself feel upset about it all. I've always felt the need to be strong and shut out everyone because that's what was expected of me or something. But I shouldn't have to do that anymore.

George Weasley, you've given me the best birthday present.

Thank you.

** EARLIER THAT DAY **

Light streams into my room and I groan as I turn over. Tossing and turning all night means that I did not get the best sleep. Sitting up slowly, I push the curls away from my face as I glance outside the window. A frosty morning greets me. Inhaling, I rub the sleep out of my eyes, trying to figure out a way to get through this day. 

Today is my birthday. Today is the day I dread every year. 

Taking a deep breath, I nod slowly almost as if I'm trying to convince myself that everything will be okay. No one has to find out the truth and all I have to do is get through it. Today is not my guardian's favourite day either. He was close to my parents as well, so it makes sense. 

The first birthday I spent with just my guardian and I, was difficult to say the least. Both of us were trying to figure out a way to manage the day but with the loss of my father so fresh in our minds, we couldn't bring ourselves to have a celebration. Since then, I've been reluctant to celebrate the day. 

I trudge down to the common room where George's waiting for me as per usual. He smiles as he sees me and I attempt to smile back normally. It must work as he doesn't question me. 

"Hey Lils," he grins cheerfully giving me a hug.

"Hi," I reply back as we head down for breakfast. I can do this. I can get through the day without any issues. 

"Hi Lily!" Ginny says brightly as we join her. "Big day today!" 

"Wh-wh-what?" I splutter out, my eyes widening.

"It's the last day of your Divination moon cycle assignment right?" she says and I realise she was joking around. The moon cycle assignment has been one that Fred, George and Ginny have taken the pleasure in adding their expert opinions to. Every night we would chart the position of the moon and they would come up with some heinous event that will happen the next day. Ironically today is the day someone is going to die.  

"Oh yeah," I reply in casual voice, but I'm pretty sure the relief is clearly visible on my face as George gives me an odd look. 

"We should celebrate," she continues and my appetite vanishes.