Chapter 74 - In which the Fowlers are reunited once more

Upon reflection it would make a lot of sense for Lily to have thought about what it would mean for her to blast a speeding bullet with her fire. But then she was always someone who thought with her heart first. Especially when it came to people she cared about. So when the bullet exploded, Lily's first thought was to absorb all the energy, it was after all, just another form of her power. 

But whether it was because she was too tired, or because her leg was reaching it's limit, or the shock of seeing George and the look of pure raw desire he stared at her with, the energy overwhelmed her. 

Futile attempts to concentrate were interrupted by the explosion throwing her across the field. 

***

Emilia smiles as she approaches her daughter. She was always proud of the woman she was growing up to be, but in this moment, a motherly instinct took over. Kneeling down, she strokes her hair, smiling. 

Lily's eyes flutter open at the touch. Staring at her surrounding, she sits up suddenly. 

"Easy does it," Emilia says as she helps steady her. Lily's eyes widen for a second, as she turns to face her mother. Backing away from her touch, she frowns. This isn't right. This can't be right. 

"Wh- where am I?" Lily stutters as she stares at her clothes. She was at the beach, with Thomas and George? Thomas fired a gun at her... 

"I'm dead?" Lily asks realisation dawning on her in horror. "No, no, no, no, no - I can't be dead. I can't be dead." She wails standing up and surveying the surroundings. There must be a way out. There has to be. Oddly it looked familiar, but at the same time, completely alien. 

"Yes and no," Emilia says with a small smile. Lily turns to stare at her, flabbergasted. "I believe your friends are attempting to revive you." 

The information sinks into Lily slowly. George is attempting to save her. Her hand shoots to her mouth as her lips tingle. Once or twice in a Muggle movie there were miracles performed where they were able to restart a heart. Would it work with witches too? 

"Is it working?" Lily asks shortly. Surely if it wasn't working, it would suddenly appear much lighter? Or is that just a Muggle saying? 

"That, my dear, is up to you." Emilia says gently, taking a seat on a sofa. 

Lily regards the woman in front of her. Dark hair falls in curls that frame her face. Brown eyes and a small nose, it was like looking in a reflection. Small differences like high cheekbones and a mischievous glint in her eyes, but for the most part, Lily took comfort in seeing her. 

"You're my mother. Emilia Fowler," Lily states as Emilia smiles silently. She was, after all, simply confirming a fact. "But then, how are you here?" 

"I had to come see you. Your father will be coming soon, he just got caught up with Thom- someone else." Emilia states with a nervous glance at her daughter. If there was one thing she definitely inherited from her, it was the unpredictable nature of her reactions. 

"Father? You mean Ben?" Lily asks, folding her arms. A part of her was elated at the thought of seeing him again, but another part can't help but be angry. So many half truths, stolen memories, a lot of it surrounding her early childhood with Ben. How would she be able to face him again?

"Tsk," Emilia shakes her head disapprovingly. "Biologically connected or not, that man is as much of a father to you as I am your mother, if not more." 

Stunned at her response, Lily turns around expecting him to appear, but the area seems deserted. 

"Thomas is dead." She states again coming to the only logical conclusion of why her father would delay coming to see her, especially given that she did not have much time here. Emilia nods her head with a grin.