Chapter 34 - In which Malfoy and I go bird watching

Before every decision from now on I'm going to think through all the possible consequences. Because never did I think deciding to be there for Malfoy would involve me standing watch whilst he attempted to capture a bird. It's very important for the mission he told me, but at the same time I can't help but think this is one of the more stupider things I've done in my life. 

I stare at him as he leans over the tower window trying to coax a bird with a some bread crumbs. His eyes are full of concentration but there are balls of sweat forming on his head proving his nervousness. I doubt anything will get that stupid bird to come in this room, but at the same time I don't want to be the one to break it to him. For the first time he seems a bit happier, a bit more confidence. It must be that something is finally going right in his plans and I'm glad for it. 

"Dammit!" He growls as the bird flies away. She had been toying with him for long enough and finally got bored. I'm surprised Malfoy didn't give up earlier but it just shows how important this weird task is for him.

"We'll get the next one," I say reassuringly but then the look I get from him makes me regret ever showing sympathy to him. 

"Stupid animals," he mutters to himself as he sits on the floor of the tower. Contemplating whether I too am going to resort to sitting on the floor, I just lean against the wall. This place feels strange. Like it's haunted or something. I feel like there's some sort of presence here. One I'm familiar with but is also a stranger. 

"You think I'm insane," Malfoy says snapping me out of my thoughts. My eyes widen at him, but the truth is out. Of course it is. Who wouldn't think it would be insane to spend an afternoon trying to get some bird?

"I do think your methods are questionable," I say after a pause. He just regards me sullenly. I don't know what he wants from me. One second he acts all grateful that I'm here for him and the next it's like he doesn't care. 

"Why did you and Parkinson argue this morning?" I ask suddenly causing his eyebrows to shoot up. I didn't mean to eavesdrop but I couldn't help but hear her whispered rants to Malfoy on my way to the Great Hall. It sounded trivial but I guess when you're not a Death Eater, simple issues are the only problems you have. 

"I was supposed to get into Slughorn's party thing," Malfoy mutters defeatedly. He too seems to find it difficult to put effort into 'normal' issues. 

"Oh," I say not knowing what else to reply. He shakes his head and smiles to himself as if he knew that I wouldn't know what to reply and makes things awkward. I was only trying to make conversation! It's hard when you're dealing with someone who won't tell you everything that's going on in their life. 

"Why were you and Weasley arguing before the Quidditch match?" He asks causing me to stare hard at him. He saw that? Why does that make me worse? Someone actually witnessed me and my best friend have an argument about how I don't care about her anymore. About how I've changed and I'm not the person I used to be. 

"You were right," I say defeatedly not in the mood to put my barriers up. It's so hard with Malfoy as well, especially since he's let his own barriers down for me. Malfoy just looks up at me, waiting for me to continue. 

"I don't remember why I chose to do all this and sometimes I wonder whether I made the right choice," I mutter bitterly. Every day I find myself wondering more and more whether I did the right thing with wiping my memories. 

"Well this might be a surprise to you, but I didn't actually talk to you before summer," Malfoy starts seemingly trying to lighten the mood. 

"So I have no idea what your motives were, or are. But what I do know is that I don't think you would give up what you did if it wasn't important," Malfoy continues sincerely. "I mean at least you have a choice in all this. You made it. Now you've got to honour it."