Chapter Thirteen - In which I get a sick father's blessing

My heart rate slows down and I actually feel like time has stopped. I feel George's surprise as his body becomes rigid. What have I done? I knew this was a bad idea. He's going to hate me. Maybe I could just play it off as a prank or a dare or something. Pulling away I look down, unable to meet his eyes. This is so awkward. George still hasn't said anything, and I can't bring myself to say anything either. Instead I turn to walk away, but a hand grabs mine and stops me.

George pulls me and wraps his arms around my waist. I look up at him confused, but his eyes have an unfamiliar look in them. A fire I've never seen before. They stare into mine causing me to go weak at the knees. Then he smiles and I can't help but smile too. He leans in and kisses me, pulling me closer as if he's scared to lose me or something. Huh. That's weird, he is scared about losing me.

After what feels like forever he pulls away and presses his forehead against mine.

"Best Christmas present ever," he whispers as I redden. Wrapping my arms around his neck I smile. This is perfect. Ginny was right. I should listen to that girl more, she knows what she's talking about.

The moment is perfect, but like most moments with George it's soon interrupted by Fred who bursts in the room and whoops at the sight of us. I move away from George, but he still keeps an arm on my waist, as if he's protecting me.

"Finally!" Fred grins clapping George on the shoulder as Ginny, Harry and Ron walk in. Ginny winks at me and I hide my face in George's shoulder.

"Oh leave us alone," George mutters but Fred roars in laughter.

"What's your excuse now brother? Oh she's not ready yet. I don't want to scare her. She'll never speak to me again. What if she doesn't like me?" Fred says in a slightly girly voice and George reddens but doesn't say anything.

"Told you he likes you," Ginny says and I press my face harder onto George's arm. His grip tightens and I can't help but smile. The others continue teasing George but all I can think about is the fact that George has wanted to do this for a long time and didn't because he was worried about how I would react. He actually likes me. Despite everything, he likes me. He knows the rumours about my father, he knows that Severus is the closest thing I have to family, he knows that I've got issues beyond comprehension but he still likes me.

"Alright, shut up now," George mutters and everyone smiles at him but doesn't say another word. My smile widens as a warm feeling spreads throughout my body. It's a feeling of acceptance; of family.

"We should go for breakfast now," Harry says and soon everyone piles out of the room leaving George and I alone again. He pulls me into a hug and I wrap my arms around him. 

My best friend. 

My saviour.

"We'll talk later." He promises kissing me lightly on my cheek and I nod unable to speak just yet. My heart hammers in my chest as we walk out hand in hand. Out of the corner of my eye I see Sirius wink at me and I have to stop myself from rolling my eyes. Mrs. Weasley frowns at us but doesn't say a word. I doubt this is the end of her disapproval, but I push those thoughts aside as I sit next to Ginny and George takes a seat next to me.

Throughout breakfast, I keep getting teasing glances from everyone around me, but namely Fred. Trying to keep a straight face, I spend most of the time listening into conversations between Harry and Sirius. They're dynamic makes me miss my guardian. I can't help but smile as I picture his reaction to the developments over these holidays. 

After breakfast, we all decided to play a game of exploding snap, but I can't help but rest my head on George's shoulder and let my eyes droop.

"Aw, look at the two lovebirds," Fred says smirking at me and I don't even have the energy to retort back at him but mumble something along the lines of: "I'll squish your eyeballs out if you don't shut up".