Chapter 51 - In which even house elves betray me

Smash

Again.

Smash

Again.

Smash

"DAMMIT!" I yell out as I throw another plate against the wall. The house elves all cower away fear evidenced in their wide eyes. Concentrate Lily. Concentrate. You can do this. I lift my palms at the fireplace and try to mimic the warmth and fire. Channelling all my hatred for Snape, my hatred at the fact that he murdered the one person who the Dark Lord was afraid of, the hatred at the fact that I didn't actually know who he was in the first place.

Breathe. I can do this.

Again.

Again, nothing happens. I scream out in frustration, tears prickling in my eyes as I grab another plate and smash it against the wall. One of the house elves quickly darts to the shattered pieces and tidies it away. I decided to use the kitchen fire because I thought it would help inspire my own demon to come out from it's permanent retirement and obviously I couldn't use the Gryffindor fire. So I've been sneaking down to the kitchen every spare moment to try and channel my powers.

The only problem is that it never seems to work. No matter what I try, no matter how out of control I get, they still don't show up. Glaring at the fireplace I stomp my foot in frustration. The house elves provided the plates as a means to get out my frustration. Initially I would release all my pent up energy by screaming and smashing my fist against the wall. I wouldn't break anything, but just enough so that I can feel the pain and remind myself how much is riding on me having control over my currently non-existent powers.

Smashing the plates is satisfying but there are only so many plates that I can smash before I feel like tearing down the whole place.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid!" I yell out as I kick another plate against the wall.

"You know that was actually quite an impressive shot," a voice says from behind me causing me to jump. I don't even bother turning but instead glare at the closest house elf.

"You!" I snarl at the creature which cowers away. "I told you not to tell anyone that I came down here," I spit out, my anger boiling inside me to the point where I literally feel my blood get hotter. Betrayal. I'm constantly surrounded by people who want to betray me. Even a house elf, whose one life mission is to serve humans, is betraying me.

"Hey," an arm grabs my own and it's only then do I realise I have my wand drawn out at the elf. Blinking I drop the wand in shock. How could my anger have blinded me so much that I was ready to pretty much murder an innocent house elf. Another part of me wonders how it's possible for my powers to remain hidden if I'm this out of control with my anger.

"Miss, we didn't tell anyone you is here," another house elf pipes up in a squeak. "Master told us he wanted to know what the noise in the kitchens was and we told him we are permitted to tell him. So Master asked when the noise usually happens and Miss never told us not to tell anyone when she is coming," the elf rambles, eyes wide in fear.

"Whatever," I say after a pause as the house elf takes the other one I almost killed to the other side of the room. The other house elves look between me and the person restraining me, mirroring the look of their little elf friends.

"It's okay. I've got it from here. You can go. Thanks."

I shut my eyes momentarily as I prepare myself for the lecture that is about to come. Breathe Lily. There's no need to get angry right now. Everything is going to be okay.

"So when you say you're going to get some rest, it's actually code for terrorising house elves now is it?" George's voice does not sound pleased at all, but quite frankly I don't care. I'm sick and tired of having him and Ginny babysit me. Even Fred's told them to lay off me, but neither of them get the message.