Chapter 56 - In which I get a surprising revelation about George

Staring at the fire, I tug at my hair wishing for it to be shorter. If it was shorter then I wouldn't have to worry about mundane things like tying it up every morning. It also wouldn't get caught randomly in the most strangest of places and save me from the pain of it being ripped from my scalp. 

Scowling, I give up and just leave it out. I don't understand why it's required for me to attend this dinner. I would think that Mrs. Weasley would want to be just her family, but no, everyone is invited. At least I won't feel like the only outsider as Potter and Granger will be there too. My eyes catch my reflection and I can't help but stop for a second to just observe the person in front of me.

She has long curly hair, a small nose, but it's the eyes that tell the real story. Haunted with a mountain of responsibilities and obligations that make her seem older than she actually is. Permanently slightly swollen to show the scars behind her endless days and nights of heartbreak. She just looks lonely

I try to give myself a smile in order to see if that will help the miserable situation.

"Well that just looks like something out of a horror story," Ginny says causing my to jump. Scowling at her amused expression in the reflection, I turn away from the mirror.

"Thanks," I mutter as I sit down on the edge of the bed with a sigh. I never really cared about my appearance. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think the Dark Lord cares whether I'm a vision of beauty or look like the female version of Crabbe. But these days I keep catching myself trying to fix my hair or wear something more flattering. Something Ginny has of course noticed and never fails to mock me about. 

"How's your mum doing?" I ask as Ginny goes to the mirror to apply some make up. I watch her beady eyed feeling rather jealous at her ability to just use tools to make herself look more beautiful. Not that she needs it; Ginny Weasley is one of those girls that just scream beauty. 

"She's doing okay for now, I mean she's only yelled at Ron 3 times, so it's progress," Ginny says pulling a face. I smile knowingly. Mrs. Weasley's temper when she's stressed is just something else. It's like we're all a few wrong words away from a nuclear war. Ron has had the unfortunate luck to be around whenever Mrs. Weasley has one of her angry outbursts. It's been a running joke in the family to count the amount of times she manages to blame him for something. The maximum we've ever seen is a crazy 9 times but that was when Fleur's wedding dress was delayed because it needed more alterations.

"It's probably cause she's going to miss him the most, you know," I say in a low voice as Ginny pauses for a second. Her nostrils flare but then she just shakes at her own reflection.

"Yeah probably," she says in a low voice. My eyes are trained on hers, inviting her to talk about the pressing issues she too has been burdened with. Ever since Potter came back, I've lost Ginny to him. I'm not complaining, but when I watch them together Ginny has this look in her eyes. One that I don't think Potter realises is there. It's always there for a split second before it disappears. 

"Tell me what's going on," I say firmly when Ginny refuses to speak. 

"Ginny," I say warningly as she turns to glare at me. But when I notice her hands trembling I immediately go up to her and give her a tight hug. Ginny stands rigid there for a second, perhaps not wanting to show me there's something wrong. Slowly her arms go around me and accept my show of affection. 

"He's going after the wedding," Ginny mumbles in my hair. 

We stare at each other wordlessly, before sitting on the floor using the bed as our backrest. It's strange for me to see Ginny like this. Vulnerable. 

"That's tomorrow," I say in a whisper and Ginny gives me a look. I purse my lips to suppress the smile that wanted to form. I'm known for always pointing out the obvious but in this situation I'm sure Ginny is fully aware how much time she's got left with her boyfriend before he goes off on his secret possibly life threatening mission.