Chapter Twenty One - In which Dumbledore tells me his secret

The moment in which my eyes met with George, my boyfriend, the man I'm in love with, imprints in my brain as I nervously follow Dumbledore down the hall. My stomach sinks as we get closer to his office and I'm barely aware of the amusing change in his password. The one worry running through my mind is the thought of having to leave Hogwarts. 

It doesn't make sense for him to make me leave when it's so close to the end of the year. Yet the fact that he approached me in the Great Hall does not bode well either. Something has changed. And it's just my luck that it happens when I feel like I've found the solution to my problems with George. 

My guardian is nowhere to be seen and for some reason that doesn't settle well with me. If Dumbledore was planning to make me leave, I'd want my guardian to be here. For comfort more than anything. Heart pounding in my ears, I'm barely aware of the Headmaster speaking. His mouths opens, but it's like someone cast the Muffliato spell.

"Pardon?" I blink at him. 

"Please, take a seat Miss Argent," Dumbledore says, gesturing to the seat opposite me. His grave look doesn't move from his face as if it's permanently etched on it. To think I was so eager to join the fight, but at this moment with George's face etched in my brain, I can't help but feel like this is the last place I want to be. Slowly, I sink into the chair, forcing myself to meet the eyes of the Headmaster. He mimics my actions, giving me a careful look. 

Questions race through my mind, each one more erratic than the previous. I try to remember the last time, I had a genuine interaction with Harry - from what I understand his connection with You-Know-Who is the reason his strange behaviour. But Severus has been dealing with it. He promised me that he had it under control and I wouldn't have to worry.

"I'm sure you are wondering why I brought you here tonight, Miss Argent," Dumbledore starts in a tone that matches the look in his eyes. Suppressing a shiver, the thought of my guardian's reaction to my fear makes me sit a little straighter. Severus promised he had the Harry situation handled, so I believe him. The alternative is not an option, not right now. 

"I've been meaning to speak to you for a while, but circumstances have prevented me from doing so. It is important that we get to talk before it's too late."

"Too late for what?" I ask sharply. Leaning forward, I narrow my eyes at him. Does he believe that You-Know-Who is planning to move out in the open soon? I'm still uncertain of what I would end up doing in such a situation. The easy answer would be to fight with the Order, it would mean fighting alongside everyone I love. But the thought of You-Know-Who finding out that a Fowler was still alive sends a shiver down my spine. 

"I'm afraid I don't believe we'll be able to speak freely in the near future. I need you to know of a man's sacrifice," Dumbledore continues, undeterred by the change in my attitude. 

"He risked his life in many ways for the protection of Muggles and it is due to his actions that Voldemort was thwarted 15 years ago. Yet there are only 2 people alive who know of it," Dumbledore glances at me as I burrow my eyebrows in confusion. Tapping my finger against the arm of the chair, I can't help but feel on edge. This is a recruitment meeting. But then why profess a stranger's story to me? It would be easier to just ask me. Meeting George, Fred, Ginny, I've found people I can't imagine fighting against. I would rather die than be caught in battle with them.

The only way I can honour my family's past is by correcting the mistakes they made. Without the burden of their opinions and judgement, I'm free to repent for their sins. 

"I am, of course, talking about your father Miss Argent, or should I say Miss Fowler?" Dumbledore says gazing at me over his half-moon spectacles.