Chapter Eleven - In which we play Truth or Dare

"Lily - Professor Snape is here." 

Five words that cause my heart to sink as I glance around at everyone. We're all playing a game of exploding snap and so far I've been winning. Well winning is a loose term that can be used to describe the fact that I've been occasionally bribing and distracting people in order to gain an upper hand. 

George frowns as I get up to leave the room. He must see through my smile. I hate the fact that I've become an open book... someone who is so easy to read. I used to be so good at hiding my emotions and I had barriers that no one could penetrate. It makes me feel so vulnerable that I don't have that privilege anymore. 

I walk towards the other room and step inside with a small knot in my stomach. 

"Lily," Severus says in a low voice, sensing my reluctance. All it takes is one look at him and my anger trebles. He lied to me - about everything. The one person I can safely expect to be honest lied about Sirius, about the Order, about how he's been fighting against You-Know-Who this whole time. 

He never once thought maybe I would want to join him. Or maybe he did and like George wanted to protect me. I don't want to be protected. I want to fight. 

"I don't have time to play this game with you," he mutters tiredly, but I remain silent. My hands ball into tight fists behind my back and remind myself that this man is more than his flaws.

"Professor Dumbledore thinks the bes-" he starts but I interrupt him.

"When were you planning to tell me?" I demand hotly. Well looks like being-the-bigger-person plan went out of the window. His eyes stare into mine and I instinctively put my mental barriers up, a skill I had to learn at a young age. 

"Tell you what exactly?" Severus says after a pause, smiling slightly.

"About all this. About the Order, about you fighting in it, about You-Know-Who trying to find a weapon. What if that weapon is me?" I say in a barely audible voice. I know both Fred and George have the ability to use extendable ears that allows you to overhear conversations. 

"The Order was classified information. And so is the weapon. But it's not you. If it were do you think I would have let you come here where you're in such close proximity to Potter?" Severus replies levelly and I purse my lips. George had updated me on what had happened and I found the news sickening.

It's worse than I thought. Harry is a pawn of You-Know-Who. 

"But luckily for the both of us, Professor Dumbledore doesn't believe Potter to be a threat to you," Severus continues with a glance at me. The whole sentence sounds like it has a unspoken 'for now' associated with it. 

"What about Sirius?" I whisper, as anger flashes through Severus' eyes. "He told me that he's my family, that we're related," I continue and now it's my guardian's turn to get frustrated. Except he doesn't look annoyed, he looks livid.

"He did now?" He asks, his eyes darting to the door behind me. 

"Is it true?"

"Does it matter?" Severus asks hotly and I take a step back stunned at his response. Of course it matters. I want every opportunity to get to know the people in my family who aren't evil. The fact that my guardian can't see that astonishes me. 

Severus looks as if he's struggling to figure a way to reply, but then he sighs looking a lot older than he is. "He's your mother's first cousin. She didn't particularly like him," he says wryly with a lofty look in his eyes.