Chapter Twenty Five - In which the Weasleys leave with a bang

There are many reasons why I don't like spending time in the library. The first being that without fail I would find some other fifth year student having a mental breakdown over the O.W.L.s. Something about witnessing a person unravel makes me uneasy, as if it's contagious. So when I asked Hermione to borrow a book for the Transfiguration essay, it made no sense for Fred to claim George went looking for me in the library. They both knew I hated that place. His excuse fell through like soggy bread. 

Questioning Fred was futile, he had no knowledge of where his brother was, a fact I couldn't help but find unnerving. To think that there was a time where we were joint at the hip, to the point where Fred ended up feeling like an outsider, but now if questioned, I wouldn't know my boyfriend's whereabouts at all.

Glumly, I tread down to Herbology trying to get George's weird behaviour out of my mind. My mind can't help but jump to the worst. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering to ask Severus if there's something wrong with me. Knowing that George is keeping something from me is eating me alive, but I can't bring myself to confront him. The rascal has been taking up every one of my thoughts without needing many prompts. It's gotten to the point where I can barely concentrate on work, a horrifying prospect considering the exams are approaching fast

Narrowing my eyes, I spot George lurking behind the greenhouse. He's got one hand on a strange looking plant, the other holding out a small vial. Frowning, I watch as he glance around once more.

"George?" I ask, approaching him causing him to stiffen. He did not want to be caught. What is going on? With a hasty look at my direction, he shoves the vial out of sight. At that moment a fourth-year that I didn't notice before, peers around George's shoulder to see what caused his change in behaviour. My heart sinks. 

The girl is one I recognise as a regular member of the George Weasley fan club, but it was more George's effort to control his expression as if he's trying to hide his emotions. Scowling at the two of them, I push past him and enter the greenhouse. Blinking away the tears, I inhale deeply. Why is everything so weird between us? The thought of some other girl fawning over him makes me sick. I want to curl up in a ball and cry, but I know that won't do the situation any good.

Severus was right. 

Getting myself involved with George romantically has brought me so much pain. It's been the light of my life, but at the same time, I've never been as paranoid as I am now. My mood continues to worsen as I take my seat, glaring at the table in front of me.

It's not fair.

I hate that he has this much of an influence on my mood. I hate that I'm always the one who cares more. I hate that he makes me feel like I'm not enough. Ginny's words from last night echo in my ear and I know I'm overreacting. George may have been selling the girl some of the merchandise, but then where was Fred? And why were they both by the greenhouse? It doesn't make any sense.

Whichever way I look at it, he's lying to me. 

I screw my eyes shut and take a deep breath. 

It's fine Lily. It's all going to be fine.

But it's not fine. It's not fine at all.

Standing up, my nostril flare with a new sense of anger building inside me. Professor Sprout stares at me her hand outreached with a pot, but I don't plan on staying in this lesson for much longer. 

"Miss Argent?" She asks approaching me. But I barely hear what she says, my mind focused on how George is making me feel. He can't do that. Keep acting weirdly and then just expect everything to be okay, expect me to be okay.