Chapter 63 - In which I lose everything I hold dear

"Where is the diamond?"

Groaning, I blink at the man in front of me. I have no idea where we are and it takes me a moment to realise I'm being held captive in some sort of basement. My hands are tied to the back of the chair, but there's something different. It's like I've been drugged with some strange potion. 

"I said, where is the diamond?" The man takes another step towards me and I scoff at him. After everything, he expects me to just give him answers? Merlin knows how he found out about the diamond. I can't think about that because it will send me into a full on panic attack.

No.

I need to stay focused. 

I was at the library. I got ambushed and then something hit my head. As if the thought reminded me of the pain, I wince slightly and note the alarmingly large bump that can be felt on my scalp. 

"I won't be repeating myself again, so I'd choose wisely what you say. Where is the diamond?

It's almost very typical of me to be in this situation. Of course Lily Fowler would get herself kidnapped and compromise her mission. Smiling to myself, I tilt my head towards my capture and raise my eyebrows at him.

"Does mummy know you're here?" I whisper tauntingly. Then everything goes black again.

***

"Why are you doing this?" I croak as I wake up again. I call it waking up, but really it feels like I'm just blinking and then somehow it's another day because he's wearing different clothes. Or is this just more psychological games? I can't decide.

"Smart girl like you should be able to figure it out. All you have to do is tell me where the diamond is?" He says in a slow voice, expressing each syllable as if I find communication difficult. 

"I don't know wha-" 

***

"Now Lily we can do this the easy way or the hard way."

Gritting my teeth, I force down the urge to scream. It could have been hours, it could have been days since I was last awake. I have no idea what concoction of potions he's using but every time he knocks me out it feels like it's only been a second when actually it could have been ages. I have no concept of time. 

This form of torture is worst than anything I could have imagined or prepared for. 

"All you have to do is tell me where it is." He says in a low voice. Every time I wake up, he's the only person I see, which tells me that there can't be anyone else here. I would have sensed them, or heard them, or something. But there's been no signs of human activity aside from him. The thought doesn't provide me much comfort at all as I screw my eyes shut. 

"Did you kill Jerry?" I ask in a low voice, malice laced in my words. 

"I told you already, you'll find out your answers after you give me mine," he says in a tone that matches mine.

Scoffing, I turn to the side and laugh. 

"Then I guess we're at an- what's the Muggle term for it?" I wonder out loud. "Oh yes, an impasse," a giggle escapes me, but my eyes are hard as they meet his. I raise my eyebrows at him as if I'm taunting him to come closer, but I know he won't. Not after the last time. 

"I grow tired of your games," he says, brushing the sleeves of his suit. 

"I grow tired of you," I spit out before I can stop myself. Then it goes dark again. 

***

"You know if you want to keep knocking me out, you should untie me and do it like a man, you pathetic coward," I scream at his casual attire, leaning back against the wall as if he's watching his favourite Quidditch team. Of all the facts that I know about this man, enjoying torturing someone was never on the list. I always thought he was better than the rest of them. Even after Dumbledore's murder, a small part of me always knew that my anger was displaced.