Chapter 59 - In which we go down memory hallway

"Are you sure this is going to work?" 

Fred glares at me, but doesn't bless me with another one of his not-so-witty responses. I can't help but feel terrified about what we're attempting to do. Even Mrs. Weasley had her reservations and couldn't possibly understand why we would need to know the spell. Eventually we managed to worm it out of her but not before she gave us many lectures about the fragility of our mind.

"Lily, it's our only lead," George says as he puts down another cushion. Pursing my lips together I just watch the two boys create my safety mat, just in case something goes wrong. 

Ginny has already left for Hogwarts; it feels weird not to have her bubbly presence around. It also feels strange to know that I'm not going to Hogwarts this year. I have no idea what the Dark Lord will think about that, but at this moment I could care less. A part of me wonders whether Snape will notice, whether he'd feel worried or whether it would confirm my betrayal to him.

Snape doesn't care about you. Forget about him.

Shaking my head I flip the piece of paper filled with notes, rereading it to make sure I understand it completely. We've been at the Burrow for a few weeks and spent the first few days helping Mrs. Weasley, Bill and Charlie to clean up after the wedding fiasco. By the end of the first week everything looked normal again as if nothing had happened. 

Most of the guests got out safely before the Death Eaters arrived. Fred, George and I were the last ones to leave and then a couple of Death Eaters had arrived looking for Potter. Once they realised he had left, they decided to cause some more havoc, just for fun. But then something odd happened. Apparently they were in the middle of interrogating Mr. Weasley when they both stopped and Apparated away. I have no idea what could have possibly drawn them away, but they didn't come back again.

Everyone from the Order came after that night to strengthen the magical protection spells. The atmosphere was bleak, almost as if everyone was shocked at how much of a close call it all was. On the other hand, Bill and Fleur seem over the moon. They left for Shell Cottage just as we had arrived.

My grip on the sheet of paper tightens as I suppress the feeling of jealousy. It's stupid. I never thought I'd be jealous of anyone in the Weasley family, they are my family too after all, but whenever I picture Bill and Fleur together, blissfully happy despite the oncoming war, I can't help but become a tad green-eyed.

"Lily?" George asks as he gently removes the sheet from my grip. I stare at the wall, deflated. What's the point of all this? What if it doesn't work? Mrs. Weasley has already told us the many many dangers with pursuing this type of magic. It's dangerous. 

George kneels down in front of me and places his hands on my knees. I wish he wouldn't do such things. It makes it very difficult for me to focus on the doom and gloom of my situation. I end up thinking about how his hands are so warm and consequently make that small part of my knee feel extremely hot, as if it's on fire. 

"Talk to me," he says in a low voice. 

"I- I don-" I start but then I sigh. "I wish we could just escape to Shell Cottage too," I whisper as George raises his eyebrows at me, clearly surprised at what's been bothering me.

"We?" He says with a coy smile playing on his lips. 

"Yes, we," I confirm as I place my own hands over his. They twitch at my touch but then turn so that they can hold mine properly. 

"And what exactly would we do at Shell Cottage?" George muses as a familiar mischievous glint appears in his eyes. His enjoyment in the conversation is very apparent.