Chapter 65 - In which Weasley and Fowler meet again

*A/N: don't usually do this, but this is the song I listened to whilst writing this chapter."

"Fred."

Neither George nor I break eye contact when Fred announces himself. There's no way the tension is going to be broken with some lame joke, not now, not after everything. 

"Ok-ay then," Fred says rubbing his palms together. "Why don't we just sit down for a second and just catch up?" He asks as he pulls up a chair for himself and his brother. He looks just as worn out as George, but he doesn't have the same weariness or dark shadows. What have they both been up to? Why aren't they in the Burrow? Did George tell everyone about what I did? How did I get here? What happened to Malfoy? 

Questions fly through my mind, but as George's slightly tremble as he reluctantly sits down, makes all of them disappear except one. 

Do you still love me?

My eyes burn with tears. I blink them away quickly, there is no way I'm going to burst out crying right now. I have to be strong. I have to show him that the girl he fell in love with is still here, no matter how lost he believes her to be. Argent, Fowler, none of it matters with George. All that matters is who he thinks I am- whether he believes me to be the kind, compassionate, fearless girl or a bloodthirsty, narcissistic traitor.

"I'll start then," Fred says when neither George nor I say anything. "Hello everyone, my name is Fred. Not much has happened since the last time we all spoke. I'm a famous radio show host now, I have at least 4 battle scars which is way cooler than any lost ears, oh and I'm learning how to juggle." Fred says with a grin on his face. Against everything, I raise my eyebrow at him to which his smile widens. 

Why is he being so nice to me? This is the second time George has been abandoned by me. Last time Fred made it very clear that I was treading on thin ice, but now here he is trying to make us all smile and act as a peacemaker. What's changed? 

The thought frightens me. If something could change Fred so fundamentally, then I shudder to think what George is like now. 

No. It's only scary because nothing is in my control. 

That may be true, but there is no way I'm confessing that right now. Especially not to George. 

"So who wants to go next?" Fred asks leaning forward. The sharp look in his eyes as he darts between his brother and I, doesn't go unnoticed. The lump in my throat travels to my mouth making my tongue feel like it's swelling up. 

"How about I ask you guys questions and you just talk to me?" Fred says when neither of us reply. The hard look in George's eyes makes me want to crumble, but I know now more than ever that I need to be strong for the both of us. George has to understand why I've done this. That's the only hope we have for a happily ever after. I can't force him to understand. There's the chance that he'll just freak out and hate me even more but I have to trust that the George I know will understand. 

"So," Fred clears his throat as he leans forward. "Lily, erm, how do I put this lightly?" Fred's eyes dart to the mark on my bare forearm. I've been so preoccupied with everything, I didn't even realise that it was on show. 

"Oh what the heck, Lily should we kick you out? When did you convert to the dark side? Are you going to kill us?" The questions stream out one after the other. George glances at his brother for a split second, his cool façade dropping. I have to stop myself from smiling at the mental conversation that happens in that tiny second. Oh how I've missed those.

"Yes," I say in a low voice causing both eyes to snap to mine. George's hand twitches as if he's ready to draw his wand, but his eyes light up as if he's surprised I even answered. "I mean no."