WAKE UP CALL

"I can't fucking believe this!" Marshall burst trhough the door at my house, me and Deshaun (Proof) followed close behind.

"Relax, man! You'll get em' next time..." I said while walking to the refrigirator to get us some beers.

Marshall had frozen on stage again, or choked as we say.. He didn't manage to say one word while standing on stage battling Prince K, I could see it in his eyes he had a good comeback too!!

I walked back to them and sat down in the couch, handing them one bottle each.

"You said that the last time, Alex. Fuck it..." He said and took a big sip of the beer, leaned forward and slammed it on the table annoyed.

"Aigh't man, forget about that shit! Prince K ain't nothin! I guarantee you, you'll get him next time, doody..." Proof said an patted him on the back supportive.

"I don't know man... What if I'm not--" Marshall started, but I quickly cut him off.

"Aigh't! Stop right there motherfucker!" I said, sounding like a pissed off mom screaming at her son. I pointed the beer at him. "You ain't gonna say that shit, that shit's stupid! Aigh't? Me and Proof, we've heard you man. You're dope! So shut your lying ass mouth fore' I do it for you... And you know I'll punch you!" I said threatning, Marshall nodded before leaning forward, resting his head in his hands.

"Ey yo, Alex? What time is it? Proof asked after a little while, I looked up at him with a "duh" face.

"The clock's right there, you douche?" I said laughing, Proof sent me a cocky smile and turned to check the time.

"Oh shit, I gotta go man... Sorry, guys..." He said and gave us both a brotherly hug and then a handshake. He nodded to Marshall slightly before he walked out and left us alone in my livingroom.

"See ya!" I yelled after him, I figured it was a little late since he had already gone, but... You never know with these guys...  I turned to Marshall. "Aigh't M&M! Spit it!" I said and took another sip of my beer, I could see it in his eyes that something was on his mind. No matter how much he tries to hide it, I can see it! Marshall looked up and shook his head annoyed again.

"Nothin' aigh't!! You got any cigarettes? He asked, changing the topic. I let out a little sigh and nodded before I took up the small box from my pocket and tossed it to him. "Thanks" He muttered and placed a cigarette in his mouth, before he even got to ask, I tossed him my lighter. He lighted the cigarette and took a few big mouthfulls, letting out big clouds of smoke in the room. I even wanted one myself!

"Toss me one..." I said, he opened his eyes and tossed me the box, the lighter followed. I lighted up a cigarette and smoked a little in my own little world for a few minutes before I remembered. "Are you good with Kim yet?" I asked, he met my gaze with sad eyes, I take that as a no...

Marshall had fought with Kim again, that bitch doesn't think he'll ever be a rapper because he's white! The bitch doesn't even show up on ONE battle?! She could at least support him!? TRY at least?? 

"You can sleep here..." I said, I knew the poem... When they fight, Marshall always ends up with leaving the house. And his moms house, was waaaaaaay down the list at where he would sleep for the night... He met my gaze thankful before he blew out some more clouds of smoke in the air. He stared into midair for a few moments before saying anything.

"Do you think I'll ever be famous?" He said randomly and looked at me. I thought for a moment as I looked back at him.

I hadn't thought about, but he sure was a talent. That's for sure! 

"If you stop choking, then sure!" I teased him, he threw his cigarette at me a litte pissed at that answer when I burst out laughing over my sly remark. "Sorry, man! I just had to!" I laughed, he nodded sarcastically before flashing me the middle finger as always. "Fuck you too, Marshall... But, yeah! Think about it man, concert after concert... If you get famous, I'mma travel around with you! Promise me that??" I asked, I felt my vision getting blurry because of the mixture of smoke and beer, fuck yeah..! 

"And Proof... Y'all can be the back-up singers!!" He burst out laughing, I immediatly jumped out my chair and on top og him and started to fist-fight. Just for fun, of course!

"I ain't no back-up singer, Em! Hahaha! I laughed, after a litte while we both fell next to eachother on the couch. It was quiet for a while.

Marshall was a good friend, we had been friends since I was 10! But, when everyone in the class continued their education, he had to do 9th grade 3 times in a row! In the end he just gave up and quit school. Like that wasn't enough, he was constantly bullied by this prick named D'Angelo Baily, the son of a bitch threw him in lockers, beat him up, he even ended up in a coma for 10 days because of him! He even got deaf on one of his ears for a little while, sometimes still he get's this "piiiip" sound in his ear... Not just that! He also got blind for a couple of days afterwards...

"Yo, you okay man?" I looked up at him and noticed that I was biting my lip again, I always do that whenever I'm angry... And he knew that.

I looked in his eyes, I had known his eyes were blue... But, now they were so VERY blue and-- I quickly shook the thought away and nodded at him.

"Yeah, I'm good... Whatever..."  I said and drank the rest of the beer before letting out a big burp. Marshall laughed out loud before drinking the rest of his beer and prepared himself for a burp too.

He burped a loooooooong one! It ended with both us laughing uncontrollably!

___________________

The next morning I woke up with a terrible headache in my bed, I turned around and saw Marshall sound asleep.

You see, I didn't have a guest-bed, and Marshall didn't seem to bother that we slept in the same bed together. What should be the problem anyways? We are just friends, nothing else between us... Nothing else...

What the fuck? NO! I slapped myself physically, it was a little too hard which caused me to react on it.

"OW!" I exclaimed, a little too loud. Marshall moaned tiredly and opened his eyes. He looked at me tired.

"Why did you hit yourself??" He asked, I looked at him with big eyes and tried to act it away.

"Hit myself? You drunk, whiteboy??! I said and wiped my eyes to wake me up.

"...You have a red handprint across your face, whitegirl..." He pointed at me.

Shit.

I turned around so he didn't see it and walked out of the bed. I ran over the bedroom floor in to the bathroom and looked myself in the mirror. A huge red handprint was over my left cheek.

"When is the next battle?" I yelled out to him, I didn't get any answer and turned to face him, he looked down. "Marshall? The next battle?" I asked again, he looked up nervously. I quickly shook my head at him and walked to him, looking him dead in the eye and talked directly from the brain. "You are going to battle, even if I have to drag you out there and up the stage! I'mma call Proof, you stay right there!" I said, Marshall didn't say anything back og let me walk away to the phone in the hallway. I quickly dialled his number and when he finally answered and I explained everything, it wasn't even a question to ask about it.

"I'll be right there..." He said and yawned before hanging up the phone.

Was there someone who could convince Marshall that he was good, it was Proof.