Knife in the Back

Here's the next chapter!

Enjoy! :)
_______________

Chapter 24

*Solstice*

I pounced on Cale with stone in hand. Although I didn't get a chance to stab him, I managed to graze him and knock his dagger out of his grasp.

The dagger clattered to the floor.

I let him go and raced for the weapon, but before I had time to grab it, Cale snatched my foot and pulled me to the ground. I fell with a thud and the stone tumbled from my grasp. Cale crawled his way on top of me and clenched his hands around my throat. But luckily, Pan was too quick. Like the speed of a werwolf, he took ahold of Cale and swung him off of me.

"You never know when to quit." Pan spat. "You're lucky I won't kill you yet." Pan motioned for me to get up fallow him. And I did, but I made a grave mistake; I turned my back on Cale.

Even Pan was powerless to stop it. Both him and I didn't realize Cale grabbed his dagger until the pain shot through my back.

I didn't cry out. I was too stunned. But then a wave of agony washed over me and I crashed to the ground. I felt the poison seep into my skin.

I heard Cale laugh, something sick and twisted. I didn't see Pan's reaction but I knew he was furious, but he never had a chance to act on his anger; just then an arrow whizzed by, aiming for Pan. Luckily he was quick enough to catch the arrow in mid air but little did he know that the arrow was coated in squid ink— an ink that could contain some of the most powerful wielders of magic in the world.

A shiny purple cloud encased Pan, trapping him. He was unable to move.

I glanced over to where the arrow came from. It was Dustin. He held a crossbow in his hands with a sick smirk on his bloody face.

Cale laughed again. "Well done friend." Then he turned to Pan, "I don't need magic, all I need is a plan. And right now I'd say I did well. Baelfire is dead. Solstice is infected. And you, you are contained for the time being. And when you are able to move again, I'll be far away from this hell."

I gasped at the thought of Bae, 'is he still alive!?!' Pain shot through my wound, the dagger was still implanted in my flesh. Blood was draining from my body, and I began to feel light headed. If blood loss wouldn't kill me first the virus soon would.

It was a struggle for each agonizing breath. I laid on the ground, with my face against the cold stone, wishing I was back in the sky.

"Oh how clever." Pan mocked. "You've got this all figured out. But there's still one thing you've forgotten."

"Oh and what's that?" Cale asked, obviously amused.

"Peter Pan never fails."

Just then we heard Dustin's screams. Cale whipped his head in Dustin's direction to find that he'd been bashed on the head. He was now stretched out on the bumpy floor, either unconscious or dead.

Cale and I gapped at who we saw standing over Dustin.

Felix.

"You never know when to give up, Cale." Said Felix as he rested his deadly looking club on his shoulder. His intimidating smirk plastered on his lips.

Cale laughed, it sounded like he was insane. "I still won! Solstice is dying! I've won!" He backed away from Pan and closer to me. I couldn't inch away, I would risk bringing further damage to myself. I felt pathetic. I could just see myself stretched out on the bloody ground, with a knife stuck in my back.

Every step Cale took back, Felix took forward. Cale finally decided to make his move. He bent down, grabbed my hair and jerking me upward to my feet. A shrill scream escaped me. He ripped the infected dagger from my flesh and pointed it in Felix's direction.

Excruciating pain shot through my entire body. My heart quickened to the point where I thought it would burst. My chest heaved up and down, and my breath caught in my throat. I felt like I would faint at any moment. I wish I would have. The pain was beginning to be too much for me to handle. I felt myself growing sleepy already.

"Don't come any closer!" Cale warned, "or I'll cause her even more pain!" To prove his point he embedded the dagger just below my eye and slowly inched it down my cheek. A small cry escaped my lips. My hot tears mixed with the blood on my face, I'm sure I looked something out of a nightmare.

Cale's insane laughter started up again. Flicks of foam emerged from his mouth, making him appear even more crazy, but his laughter was cut short by his sudden grunt.