She's Real

Chapter 42

*Baelfire*

I turned my head to see a sleeping Star next to me, laying on my shoulder. She was so peaceful. I recalled what she told me earlier today;

"You look really tired," I observed, "you need to get some sleep."

Solstice shook her head, "I'm fine. I just don't get much sleep anymore."

"How come?" I asked, genuinely concerned.

    Sol glanced at me, her blue eyes sparkled in the light of the day. "Because of my dreams. I'm afraid. I can't go back to the darkness."

I told her it would be okay, that I'd stay with her. And now, here we are; in my cave with Solstice sleeping on my shoulder, in my tiny bed. Although nothing really happened, I didn't mind the bed being small—it just gave me an excuse to hold her close. She looked comfortable, like she was having a nice dream instead of a bad one. Her skin was still bright. She shined like an actual star this whole day.

I thought about telling her about my past when she woke up. But should I? I would have to tell her everything. About my mother and papa, about Hook and how he saved me from drowning, about the bean, about how papa abandoned me, about Wendy.

Should I tell her about Wendy? She might overreact. But then again, she had to know.

I then thought about Wendy. How she kindly let me stay at her house when I was on my own. She gave me food when I was starving; her and her younger brothers treated me as family.   Wendy was the reason I was here. But that was all over now. I didn't care for Wendy the way she wanted me to. I cared for only one. Solstice.

I placed a soft kiss on Sol's forehead. Her eyes fluttered open; as she saw me laying next to her, her expression turned joyful and bright. "Hi," she said sleepily.

"Hi," I mimicked her greeting. "feel any better?"

  She nodded slightly, only to close her eyes again. "How long have I been asleep?"

"It's dusk now, sooo, about the whole day." I answered, extending the 'o' on the so.

   Solstice shot up, "what? The whole day? Everyone is probably wondering where we are!" Sol turned and got off the bed, putting her hair back up in a high ponytail. I realized then her radiance dulled a little.

So, did that mean her skin shined white when she was happy and turned blue when she was mad? I'll never understand stars.

I got up and walked over behind her and reached around her waist. We swayed as I placed my chin on her shoulder, whispering to her; "Stay a little longer." I pleaded like a little boy, "I doubt they noticed we were even gone."

Solstice turned to face me, "Pan probably has."

I rolled my eyes, "Pan is just a bully."

"Who has magic." She cut me off with a raised eyebrow.

    "And I have a star who has magic. Do we have to go straight back to camp?" I whined, "can't we take a walk?"

Now it was Sol's turn to roll her eyes, "fiiiiine." She over exaggerated the 'I'. "I need you to take a look at something for me anyway."

"And what's that?" I asked with a smirk.

"You'll see it when you let me go." She stated with a grin.

"Hmmm, have a surprise or stay with you like this all night?" I thought for a moment, "I'd rather stay here." Mischief was in my voice and she knew it.

Solstice rolled her eyes again but her skin began to glow brighter.

.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.

*Solstice*

Sun was sinking when I finally persuaded Bae to follow me. It took a lot longer than I would've liked.
We walked together with our hands locked. I noticed my skin had been bright.

'Had I been glowing all day? Great. Bae must think I'm weird... Someone actually glowing because they're happy.'

At some point, Baelfire began to complain about the long walk. But the complaining ceased when I abruptly stopped. We arrived to the place I thought I saw Shine. Except I didn't see her. A sigh of relief slipped through my mouth. I actually was crazy.

"Hey what's that?" Bea asked, pointing to the tree. He saw something I didn't see until now. Shine. She was still roped against the tree. She looked tired and undernourished.

"Y-You mean you can see her!?" I asked in disbelief. "That means—" I gulped.

"She's really here." Bae finished my sentence. Bae let go of my hand and motioned for me to follow him to Shine.

We sprinted across the forest to the tree. Our feet were silent as they pounded on the ground, except those cries still never stopped.

"Shine!!" I called for her. I couldn't believe she was actually here. She should not have been here. It's dangerous. Sure, I love Shine and I love that I get to see her but Neverland is hell.

Shine snapped her head up. Her face was flushed and her appearance was a mess. Her blue eyes were dulled, like a light being put out.

Once we reached her I instantly hugged her, "Shine!" I cried.

Shine whimpered but didn't speak.

"Why won't she talk?" Bae asked as he cut the vines which bound Shine.

"I-I'm not sure." I answered, I looked to my friend but she didn't give a response. She couldn't.

"We should get her back to the cave." Bae told me, "Shine can you walk?"

Shine nodded and slowly walked forward. The movement was sluggish but Bae and I helped her pick up the pace.

It was completely dark by the time we reached the cave. I knew everyone would be suspicious of Bae and I being gone through the night.

Shine slumped on the chair with a blanket over her when we got to the cave. Everything about her was wrong. Her normal glow was gone, the light in her eyes was gone, everything I once knew was gone.

I crouched down to her, looking into her eyes; "Shine," I said soothingly, "Did you come here with anyone else?" I received a slight nod from her, but the sadness in her eyes intensified.

"Where is this person? Who is it?" I handed her a piece of parchment and some coal so she could write on it to give us an answer.

Shine shakily took the items and began to write. Once she was finished, she showed us what it said.

'Dylan and I came to find you. Found P—, said to bring Dreamshade. Dylan got poisoned by Dreamshade. Died. Voice was taken away. Can't speak.'

    It broke my heart to read it. I looked up at Bae, his expression was the same as mine. Sorrow. I glanced at Shine again, I noticed that the name was blurred from her shaking. "Shine, who told you to get the plant? Who took your voice?"

Shine snatched the parchment back and wrote clear letters;

'Peter Pan'