Lost Again

Chapter 58

*Peter Pan*

I watched as my Shadow took Baelfire away; it was a relief. He was finally out of my hair, and out of my life. I walked away and back into the woods were the cages were.

'He's so easy to trick. I can't believe he fell for it. And now there's no one in my way.' I thought to myself as I trudged through the forest.

Once I reached my destination, I gaze at one of the cages. The morning sun's glare reflected off of its metal bars as I looked at the prisoner. Once the girl saw me she ceased scratching away at her leather cuff. Red marks were all over her wrists around the cuff. If looked as is she was trying to scratch it away, as if it were threatening her life. The girl's tears rolled down her cheeks; her gaze was murderous.

"Told you I never fail." I smirked at the girl. "You're precious Baelfire is gone."

.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.

*Solstice*

"You're precious Baelfire is gone, Solstice." His hideous smirk grew wider, "he left you."

A low growl stung inside my chest; "you're lying! He'd never leave me."

"Well I'm afraid he did." He stepped closer to my cage, "you see, once he found out that I defeated you, he left."

I couldn't take it anymore; I lunged at Pan, throwing my hand outward, grabbing his shirt and bringing him closer to the metal bars of my cage. His face was inches from mine. "He would never do that to me!" I hissed; my anger burning hotter. If the cuff wasn't on my wrist my skin would be bright blue. "You're lying, just like you always have! I'll never forgive you for what you've done to Shine; what you've done to me."

Pan stared at me, choosing his next words carefully. "Well you see star, it had to be done. She gave her life up for you. She knew the risks; I told her once tshe makes a deal with the devil, he always comes to collect." A smile spread across his face, "and that, my dear star, is what happened."

I swallowed hard, still clutching his shirt, "you could've taken my life." I searched for any signs of sympathy in his features, maybe even regret, but there were none. "That's what you planned all along!" I accused, "why didn't you kill me!? Is it because you actually care for me!? Or was it all just another sick game!?"

Pan sighed, "don't flatter yourself; No, I didn't take your life, you know why? Because I wanted to watch you suffer."

"Why!?"

"Well, it looks like you have another puzzle to solve."

"I hate you." I whispered the words to him, "I hate you."

Pan smirked, "that's the darkness talking. Good thing I have the honor to watch you really go insane." He grabbed my hand which clutched his shirt and tore it away.

"You can't keep me here forever! I will find a way out!" I shouted as he strutted away, putting as much hatred in my words as possible. Pan turned around; amusement written across his face. "good luck with that."

"What happened to you?"

Pan's features harden at my words, "now, whatever could you mean by that?"

"You know exactly what I mean. What happened? When I first got here you were actually nice, but then you changed. You became what I thought you never could become; a monster."
I gazed at Pan; his features were hidden, like a puzzle that had to be decoded. A tear streaked down my eye as I spoke, "I loved you once."

Pan's face flashed with thousands of emotions all at once; first there was surprise, then anger, then sorrow, then guilt, but then turned back to anger, and now amusement was his expression.

"I know," he said, walking a closer to my cage and bent down so he could look into my eyes. "That's why this was so easy." A smile flashed before his lips and started to walk away again.

"What about that kiss!?" I demanded, "didn't that mean anything!?"

Pan sighed and turned on his heel, "You really thought that kiss meant something?" He raised his eyebrow, "you're more naïve than I once thought." Without another word, he stalked away, leaving me alone.

I couldn't deal with life right now. Nothing seemed to get better; it only got worse. How could I defeat Pan? I can't, because Peter Pan never fails. There's no hope, no reason to go on living; without Baelfire, I'm lost again.

Without even meaning to think it, a knife appeared in my hands, along with a small bottle. Somehow I wished for these items and they magically appeared. I needed to end this.

"It's poison Solstice. It's to make sure that Pan can't revive you. Put it on the blade."

I hastily opened the small bottle and poured it onto the knife; clear liquid dripped from the blade. It shook in my hands as I held it; the blade glinted in the light.

"That's it star. Go ahead and do it." Cale's voice was like a ghost.

Tears slipped from my eyes. I didn't want to live anymore. Pan took everything away from me. Everyone who I cared about has either left or are dead. My life would never get better.

My grip tightened around the knife but I hesitated before I did anything; something told me I shouldn't do it.

"Why would you want to keep living?" Cale's voice whispered in my ear, "Pan took away your magic, Pan took away Shine; Baelfire left you. Baelfire doesn't love you. Pan doesn't care about you, and he also manipulated you. There's nothing good here. You should take your life."

I tried to fight his voice, but it became the only thing I heard. His voice overtook my thoughts, I couldn't fight it any longer. I sucked in a breath, gripped the dagger tight, closed my eyes, and rested the blade on my wrist. Without another thought, I sliced.

Stinging pain ran up and down my arm. Blood trickled down as tears fell from my blue eyes. I was okay with the outcome now; I wanted to die. I would see Shine and Dylan again.

"Solstice!!" A sudden voice shouted, "stop!"