She Can't Leave

Chapter 38

*Baelfire*

   When I busted down the door, I wasn't expecting to see Pan sitting there. Well, it was his hut. Then I saw that their hands were linked. Jealousy bubbled within my chest.

  Pan stood up, burning holes into my face with his stare. "Baelfire," he cocked his head. "I see you like bursting through doors."

   It took every ounce of my strength not to roll my eyes. I didn't want to antagonize Pan.

"I trust you have things to talk about." Pan said, and without another word, he went out the door.

   Solstice and I looked at each other for a moment, but then we broke out into smiles. I ran over to Solstice and hugged her. She hugged back.

"I was so worried!" I said.

"I'm okay now Bae, really." She said softly.

I sighed, still embracing her. "I thought I lost you."

  She chuckled a little, "you can't get rid of me that easily." She unwrapped her arms around me and sat back on the bed.

I gave a small smile, "I have something to tell you."

Solstice's face brightened, "what is it?"

   I looked around and lowered my voice so we wouldn't be overheard. "Remember when we were talking about getting off Neverland?" I asked, not really waiting for an answer. "Well, I found one."

"You what!?" She raised her voice, "how!?"

"Be quiet!" I shushed her.

Solstice looked embarrassed, "sorry. Please, continue."

"All we need to do is catch Pan's Shadow."

   Sol looked at me as if I were crazy. "You want to catch Pan's Shadow?" She asked skeptically, "are you stupid? How do you plan on doing that?"

   "With a candle I made. I'll show it to you later. But anyway, the Shadow is the only one who can leave Neverland whenever he wishes. So, if we capture it, we can leave."

"You know, this could actually work."

I flashed her a smile;

But her face suddenly fell, the light faded from her features. She looked down, as if not wanting to meet my gaze.

"Solstice?" I questioned, "what's wrong?"

    She opened her mouth to speak but closed it again. But after a moment she finally got the words out. "I-I can't."

"What?" I was confused now. 'Did I hear right? Or am I just imagining things? Surely I must've heard wrong.'

    "I can't go with you." She looked into my eyes as she spoke. "It's the price I have to pay." Tears started to weld up in her eyes.

"Solstice what are you talking about?" I didn't understand what she was saying. She was scaring me. What price?

"The cure." She whispered, "The cure was water from a spring. Pan called it the heart of Neverland. He said that if I drank the water, I could never leave Neverland. Ever. If I try to, the Star Fever will come back and I will die."

Solstice's words left me stunned. It wasn't only her price, but mine also. If I left Neverland, I'd never be able to see her again. If.

   Solstice stared at me, her lip trembling. "I understand if you want to go. I mean, you hate this place. I'll understand."

  Her words were sincere, and that's what broke my heart. She wanted me to leave. She wanted to give me my best chance, and she knew i wouldn't find it here. 'Or would I? Solstice is here. I can't leave without her. I love her.'

   "I'll be right back," I said abruptly, getting up and went out the door.
Solstice didn't say anything, which worried me. I needed to confront Pan on the subject.

.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.

  Once I found him I jogged over, "Pan!" I yelled, "why didn't you tell me the cost of that magic?"

    Pan scoffed slightly, "for one I don't need to run anything by you, and second, no one leaves Neverland so I thought it was worth it. Plus, she was going to die. I thought you of all people would be happy she's alive."

   "Don't. You don't get to say that. You have no idea what I feel. No, you just gave her that water because you needed to keep her here!" I accused, not knowledgeable to what was going to happen.

   Pan smirked, "oh look, Baelfire has claws. Never mind, you could always be de-clawed." He cocked his head and hunched over so he could stare holes into my eyes. "And don't think I won't do it."

   I huffed out the frustration which bubbled up inside of me. "I know what your planning. It's obvious now."

    Pan almost laughed, "it was never much of a secret. I don't care if Solstice knows or not." He lowered his voice, "either way I will take her heart. She will die so I can live." He turned to walk away but stopped and glanced back, "oh, but I'd hate for that to get in the way of a budding romance." He said sarcastically. Then he turned on his heel and stalked away.