Daddy Issues

Anthony Jr. had grown to resent his father. The father that wasn't here to care for him. The father that was a professional football player. The father that had a hot wife and vaults full of dough. The father that didn't care.

He'd imagine what it would be like to meet him. How he would act. Whether, he'd welcome him with open arms or push him out the door and tell him to never come back. Ever since his mother told him about his dad, Anthony Jr. couldn't do anything but feel hate.

Anthony Jr. had made up all these reasons in his head as to why is father wasn't there. Anything from him not loving his mother to he just couldn't give a damn about children. In a way, Anthony wanted closure that he'd never get. At the same time, he didn't want it. Nothing could excuse a man not wanting to care, love, or even know his children.

It was a nice Sunday evening after church and a lovely family outing with Grandma Tyra. Rayna was prepare a meal for the next day while Sawyer was out in the garage trying to figure out what was wrong with his bike. Ivy was finished studying for a test and was sitting on the floor in the den watching a Seattle Seahawks game with the family's two German Shepherd, Jett and Paris laying on the floor. Teenie had passed away when the kids turned 9. She left behind two puppies and Rayna just couldn't bring herself to sell them.

Unlike her brothers, Ivy was enthralled in her father. She'd type in his name on Google everyday to figure out what was going on. Watching his games, looking up highlights from college and high school. She wanted to get to know her dad despite not being actually able to talk to him. She'd find old pictures of him. Ivy loved the ones that had both Anthony and her mother in them. Each game Seattle had Ivy would park herself in front of a TV and would not budge. And every night before she'd lay her head to sleep, she'd kiss her parents' wedding photo.

She dreamed of the day her father would finally come through the front door, bring her gifts and help her with her homework despite her not needing it. For Anthony to take her to a father daughter dance and spin Ivy around on the dance floor. All Ivy ever wanted was a complete family. She loved her life just fine but, if her dad was in it , it would be a hundred times better.

Sawyer didn't care. That's the only way to define it. He just did not care. Sawyer felt like if his father didn't care then why should he? He didn't resent or even feel the slightest bit angry towards Anthony. He had no feeling at all. Anthony Jr. would mention him but, Sawyer couldn't find the energy to care.

Sawyer came upstairs from the garage and Anthony Jr. came out of the game room from playing a game of the latest Madden.

"Why are you watching this?" Anthony Jr. said.

"Because I want to see dad play." Ivy said not caring to look at her brother.

"He's not our dad." Anthony Jr. said.

"Don't start." Sawyer groaned.

"Yes, he is. Stop being hard headed. You're named after him." Ivy said.

"Shut up." Anthony Jr. fired back at her. "You're named after a poisonous leaf."

"That's not nice." Sawyer said.

"Why do I hear arguing?!" Rayna yelled from the kitchen.

"It's nothing, Mom." Ivy called.

"Cut that off!" Anthony Jr. said.

"No!" Ivy said. "You two like football. Sit down. You might learn something. Your quarterback skills could use some work."

"What did you say?!" Anthony Jr. said.

"Guys, stop." Sawyer said.

"Well maybe if our so called dad was here, you wouldn't be having a crush on girls!" Anthony Jr. yelled.