Trying To Help

Tyra had taken the kids for the day. Summer was coming to a close and she wanted to treat all her grandbabies before they went back to school. It was Rayna's three with Tellis's 2 kids and his step daughter, and Kevin's 3 boys. Tellis and Kevin's kids were still a little young, around the tween ages. Rayna's kids were the oldest so Tyra wanted to have a mature talk with them.

She had knowledge of their problems at home revolving around their father. Tyra saw the same anger in Anthony that Rayna had towards her at one point. She wanted to set her grand children straight because, it was painful to watch Rayna grew up with anger. She didn't want Anthony Jr. to do the same.

Tyra let the other kids play in the backyard as she sat down Ivy, Sawyer, and Junior at a table outside.

"So, what's been going on at home?" Tyra said.

"Nothing much. We're excited for the school year." Ivy said.

"Good. Very good." Tyra said. "What about football? You guys planning on going to state this year?"

"Yes, ma'am. Even though we are only sophomores we plan on making a difference this year on varsity." Sawyer said.

"They are putting you as the starter, yes?" Tyra asked towards Anthony Jr.

"Well, Coach hasn't decided yet. It's between me and this junior. I'll have to step up my game if I want to start." Junior said.

"I'm sure you'll do very well. We've seen you play and the coaches would be fools not to pick you." Tyra said.

"Mom's heard the coaches's gossip. They really do like you." Ivy said.

"Speaking of coaches. Does that coach still have an interest in your mama?" Tyra said.

"Of course, he does. There are a lot of teachers that drool over her." Sawyer scoffed.

"Do you know why Mom won't date again?" Junior asked. 

"Does it have anything to do with our dad?" Ivy asked.

Tyra sighed after taking a sip of her tea. "It might. You know he was the first for your mother. She never had anyone. When you are in love like that, most people don't move on. It's possible that she could still have feelings for him. Or maybe she's just not interested."

"How could she have feelings for someone that hurt her?" Junior said.

"Honey, it's a lot more than that. You shouldn't hate him for making such decisions like that." Tyra said. "You know...your mother and I were not as close as we were today."

"What do you mean?" Ivy said.

"Your mom and I did not have a mother-daughter relationship. We had a terrible past that I wish I could make up for. There were some things I don't even forgive myself for. The reason why I say this is because, you can hate someone all you want but it's better just to let go." Tyra explained. 

"I can't let go of the pain he has caused my family." Anthony Jr. said. "I mean he just forces her out of the marriage. Mom sacrificed for him and he just spits in her face."

"Junior, relax. I'm trying to help. You can't let that effect you. What if he comes up? Would you really pass up on the chance to have a relationship with him?" she asked.

"He wasn't here from the beginning so I don't care if he comes up now all of a sudden." Junior said. "Let him stay in Seattle and take care of other children while we sit here and do great without him."

Junior got up and walked off. Sawyer excused himself from the table and walked after his brother. Ivy turned to her grandmother. "He's always been this emotional when we talk about our dad."