Catching Up

"What the hell was that?" Ivy said confronting Anthony Jr. in their game room.

"Fuck him. Why the hell is he here?" Anthony Jr. growled.

"Junior, relax." Sawyer said. "There's no reason for you to be upset."

"Why? For what? What does he want?" Junior said.

"Look, maybe Mom finally got in touch with him. Maybe, he called her." Sawyer said.

"After 16 fucking years of being a damn ghost, he shows up now?" Anthony Jr. said. 

"Maybe, he realized his mistakes and came to make everything right." Ivy said. "Don't you think this is a great opportunity for us? We can finally get to know him and he can know us. We can actually say we have a dad."

"You've always been someone who sips too much of the kool-aid." Anthony Jr. said.

"This isn't about her. This is about you." Sawyer said. "The least you could have done was be respectful."

"Was it respectful when he told our mother to pack her shit and get out?" Junior said.

"Look, can you at least take baby steps with this?" Ivy said.

"You didn't even let him say one word and you torn his head off with two." Sawyer said.

Anthony Jr. thought to himself about how he honestly felt about his father. He wondered if he could forgive Anthony however there was just so much he was holding on to.

The doorbell rang, signaling that the pizza man had finally arrived.

Rayna brought the boxes in after paying. She sat them in the kitchen on the counter. Anthony kind of stood in amazement. His life had taken such a sharp turn in a short amount of them.

"Do you mind getting plates and glasses? I need to go check on the kids." she said.

"Of course. Where are they?" Anthony asked.

"Oh. Top cabinet to the far left. There's a fifth chair at the table. We have enough space for you. Make yourself a place." Rayna said.

Anthony nodded. This all felt so foreign. Being the presence of teenagers, in a house that was not his. Something about it felt so strange. He took out the plates and glasses. He set the table while Rayna tended to the kids upstairs.

"Are you coming or not?" Rayna said to Junior.

"Is he staying?" Junior asked.

"Yes, he is." Rayna said.

"I won't sit at the table with him." he growled.

"Stop it." Rayna said snapping her fingers at him. "At least, sit down and listen to him. Be respectful. He is your father." 

"He is no father." Anthony Jr. said.

"Junior, cut it out. And if you cuss at him again, you'll be dealing with me." Rayna said. "Remember to wash your hands."

Rayna put food on the table with the help of Anthony. He watched her as she gracefully moved about the table, back and forth to the kitchen. He could do nothing but watch helplessly. She was so much different from the old Rayna but, still seemed the same. She barely even looked up at him. Anthony just had this sense that he wasn't needed. That's usually what happens when you skip out on 16 years.

"Kids! Dinner is ready!" Rayna yelled.

On cue, all three kids came downstairs in a single file line. They took a seat at the table. Anthony sat down between Ivy and Rayna.