Dinner With Dad

Rayna had prepared a good meal after coming home from practice. Her doorbell rang. She wiped her hands and hurried to the door. She answered it to see Anthony holding some purple flowers. She smiled and let him in.

"Hey." he said "I remember you liking purple flowers so I thought I'd get you some."

"Oh, their so beautiful." Rayna said taking them. "And, I just cleaned out a vase. Come in."

She went into the kitchen and filled a vase with water then sat the flowers in them.

"It smells amazing in here." Anthony said mesmerized by the intoxicating scent of the food he had not tasted in years.

"You sound like you haven't had a good meal in forever." Rayna said.

"I haven't." Anthony said.

Rayna looked at him. "Oh. I'm sorry." She didn't want to say out loud that Ariane clearly couldn't cook.

"Yeah, nothing could really compare to your cooking." Anthony said. "Not even the finest restaurant in the world."

Rayna smiled. "You always were a sucker for anything home cooked." 

"No, just yours." he said walking up behind her. Anthony took hold of her waist as he was right on top of her. Rayna felt his breath on her neck. Her heart rate kicked up. This man was really this close. Rayna hadn't been with anyone since him and just someone touching her in the right way could set her off. However, she wasn't going Anthony slip right in just because he was back.

Rayna put down the cooking utensil and went to the fridge. "Can I get you something? I have plenty of Gatorade to last five lifetimes."

"Sure. I'll take one. What flavors?" Anthony asked.

"All of them." Rayna said.

"Which ever one you can put your hand on."  he said.

Rayna pulled an orange one and handed it to Anthony. He got a flashback of her everyday, putting a Gatorade or a Powerade in front of him. It was the little things she deeply missed. The little things out of love. The little things that he was deprived of.

"Okay. So, the boys. Today was their first day of practice." Anthony said. "How did they do?"

"Good. I hear the coaches talk and...I know it's early to say but Junior could make that starter spot." Rayna said.

"Really. That's great." Anthony said.

"Just like you. Making varsity and only a sophomore." she said.

Anthony laughed to himself. "And Sawyer?" 

"Sawyer is very valued on defense." Rayna said going into the seasoning cabinet. "They won't mistreat him."

"Are they that good or do you believe that is because you are there and their mother?" Anthony asked.

"My babies can make their way without me being there, I'm sure. If they are more valued than a one of the coaches' son then you make your own assumptions." she said.

"And Ivy? How is she?" he asked sipping his Gatorade.

"One of my best student trainers and not because she's my kid. She really knows her stuff and is a very big help." Rayna said. "I want to wait to make her my head though."

"Why?" Anthony asked.

"Simply because I want to be sure she's ready for that type of position. I don't really doubt her abilities. It's just you can never be too sure." she said turning off the pot of rice. "Plus, under pressure she tends to lose herself."