Payback

Jason's pov

Kasi is comforting Miranda while I wait outside for Kurt. I've never been so mad in my whole life. He drives up very slowly. He probably knows I'm about to tear into him. I stomp over to his truck and pull him out. "Do you have any idea what you've done!?" I scream, holding him by the collar. "W-What happened?" He asks. "She went looking for me! At the damn bar. The stupid jerk who robbed us tried to make her be a stripper and they k-" I can't bring myself to say it. "They kill-" I throw him to the ground, so angry. He cowers in the dirt. And they call me the wuss. I kick him in the chest and he doubles over. "They freaking killed the baby Kurt. They kicked her til it died!" I yell, shoving him against his truck in fury. He blocks his face with his hands. I punch him in the gut a couple times. "Jason Stop!!" Kasi shouts. "No way in hell am I stopping anytime soon!" I gripe, punching him again. "My baby is dead because of you!" I yell. I let go of him and he hits his knees, crying. "I'm sorry." He whimpers. "You're pathetic." I gripe, kicking him again then walking back to the house. "I can't believe you just did that!" Kasi cries, crossing her arms. "Well believe it princess. That jerk caused all this! It's only revenge." I gripe, walking inside. I stare at Miranda who's cried herself to sleep. I'm as upset about this as she is. I just use anger instead of tears. "Baby, why don't we go to bed now." She wakes up. "Don't call me baby ever again. Don't ever say the word baby in this house." She says, trying hard not to cry again. "Ok, I'll never say it again. I promise. I love you." "I love you too." We go upstairs where she cries into her knees. I hug her. "I'm so sorry this happened to you." I whisper, holding her tight. "It's just not fair!" She cries, sobbing. "I know hun. It's not fair at all." She cries herself to sleep again. I turn off the lamp and try to get some sleep.

*the next day*

Tully comes over. I set the last baby thing in a pile in the backyard and spray it with lighter fluid. He comes to the backyard. "What the heck are you doing?" He asks. I light a match. "Watching my dreams go up in smoke." I mutter, trying to not get mad again. "I figure Kasi told you what happened?" He nods. I watch it all burn. "It wasn't Kurt's fault, ya know. He thought we were gonna have a good time. How could he have known what it was?" "I don't give a shit. All I know is my son or daughter is dead because that fool dragged me down there!" I snap. "You didn't have to go." "Oh really. Just like he didn't know, I didn't either and you asses were calling me a wuss about it." The last thing burns down to ash and I spray it with the hose just in case. "Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to my heartbroken wife." I say, turning to walk away. "How's she doing?" I spin around. "Don't even get me started. She's got bruises from where that jerk beat her, she's miserable since the baby died, she doesn't even want me to call her baby anymore. By the way if you come inside, don't mention that word. She banned it from the house." I say, walking toward the house. "If you still remember, she is my sister, I'm just worried about her." "I know you are. And I'm cool with that. But I've got priorities and explaining every fucking thing to you is at the bottom of the list. My family is more important. Kasi should know. Talk to her." He leaves and I go back inside. She's pouring a cup of juice for Danny. "Hey hun, how are ya feelin'?" I ask, walking over. "Just downright depressed." She says, staring at the floor. "I know you're upset. I am too. You don't know how bad I wish I could hunt them all down. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I wish I could make it better." I gasp, holding her hands and fighting back tears myself. "You are making it better. Just knowing you're okay makes it a million times better. It's just gonna take some time until I've fully recovered." I kiss her. "You take all the time you need. I'm here for you." "I know you are. Thanks." "Of course hun, you're my girl and I love you more than life itself." She hugs me and cries on my shoulder. "I've got you. You can cry all you want to." Danny comes into the kitchen. "Daddy." He says. "What is it, champ?" He wants a hug too. I pick him up and we both hug her.

*later*

Miranda went to bed early so I'm sitting on the couch with my son. "Mama needs lots of lovin'." He says. I look over at him surprised. "Yeah she does bud. And if ya wanna talk about it all, you can talk to me." I say, sitting up and hugging him. "I know. So does this mean I'm not gonna be a big brother?" "Yeah I'm sorry buddy. That's what this means. But later on down the line, you might be." "I hope so. I'll keep him or her safe. No one will hurt them." He says, acting all tough. I smile. "You're a great kid." He hugs me. "I love you daddy!" "I love you too son." "I'd be a great big brother right?" "Of course. We just have to wait a little longer than we thought." I rub his back until he falls asleep then I carry him to his room. I walk in our room and lay down, pulling her close to me. She lays her head on my chest and falls back to sleep.