Happy Thanksgiving

Jason's pov

Rachel, my mama, and Miranda are cooking in the kitchen for Thanksgiving today. I know if Kasi were here she'd be helping too. I sigh and stare at the empty seat my sister would be sitting. I bet Tully is gonna get drunk again. He's been doing that alot lately. I walk out of the dining room to the living room where all my rowdy friends are watching football. Eric, Cole, Tyler Luke, Brantley, Blake, Brad, Carrie, Miranda L., Troy, and Eddie all were joining us for Thanksgiving. Miranda L. Was sitting in Blake's lap and Carrie was sitting in Brad's lap. All staring intently at the game. I roll my eyes and walk outside. Tully, Kurt, Rich, and Sierra were outside hanging out. Tully is surprisingly sober and talking to Sierra. I sit on the step, staring at my boots, not into the season. I miss Kasi. I wish she was here to celebrate with us. The door opens. I look up. My wonderful loving wife. She sits beside me. "Hey, you okay?" I shrug. "A little bummed about Kasi not being here." "Oh Jason, me too. That's why your mom sent me outta the kitchen. She could tell I was trying hard not to cry." I wrap an arm around her and she lays her head on my shoulder. The door reopens and Brantley and Luke walk out. "Who won the game?" I ask. Luke smiles. "Who do you think, bulldog fan?" He says, jokingly. I smile, looking down at my boots again. Kasi was a raving Alabama fan. I of course go for the dawgs. "Go dawgs!" B says, raising his hands in the air like goal posts. Luke throws the football that he was carrying. It sails between Brantley's arms and Tully catches it.

*20 minutes later*

Miranda went back inside to help with dinner. "Hey Jason get the rest of the couch potatoes out here. Let's play a little football while we wait." Brantley calls, tackling Tully. I laugh at them and walk back inside. "Hey guys, football game starting outside, care to join?" Everyone gets up. I walk into the kitchen. My girl is at the stove. I smile and wrap my arms around her waist. "Hey baby." "Hey cowboy." My mom looks like she's trying not to laugh. I roll my eyes and grab Miranda's hands. "Ya wanna know what I'm thankful for?" I ask. She smiles. "I think I know." "You probably do." "Oh get a room." Rachel says, rolling her eyes. I laugh and pull Miranda out of the kitchen. "I'm thankful for you and the kids and my friends and your friends. We've got a big Thanksgiving family. "Couldn't have said it better myself." She whispers, kissing me. We were making out when I hear Luke whistling. I roll my eyes. "I don't care. Let them watch." She says, taking my hat off and hiding our faces with it as we kiss again.

*a few hours later*

Mom calls dinner so we all gather in the dining room even though there isn't very much room. I still eye that empty chair that Kasi would be sitting in. Brantley stands up, tapping his beer can. "Here's to friends here's to family and one hell of a time." He raises his beer high. "Let's all raise our glass to the memories that won't ever die." Tyler stands up. "Let's give a toast to a good time." We all raise our glasses. "Here's to us." Luke says. "And to Kasi." I hear Miranda say. I squeeze her hand under the table. "Kasi's here too hun, that's why there's an empty chair." I say, pointing. A tear falls from her eye. "I miss her Jay." I sigh. "I miss her too, hun." I look around at the table at all our friends who wmare having a good time and don't even notice. I cover our faces with my hat again and kiss her passionately. "She'll never truly be gone."

*after dinner*

"Ugh mama, I swear you make me fatter every Thanksgiving." I mutter, collapsing to the couch. Brad sits beside me. "Well you're the dumbass who ate almost four pounds of food." He says, pointing at me. "Brad, if I wasn't so lazy from turkey and buzzed from beer I'd have kicked you in the ass by now.... But I'll settle for this." I flip him off and close my eyes. He just laughs. "Pineapple upside down cake!" Sierra calls. "Ugh, you guys are killin' me." I mutter, sitting up, my mouth watering. I love my mama's pineapple upside down cake! "Jason, you don't have to eat it." Mom says, smirking. "Oh but you know he will." Miranda says, smiling and shaking her head. And I am. It's so good. I grab a slice and the girls laugh. Brad grabs a slice too.

*later*

"I think I gained like 30 pounds." Miranda mutters, staring at herself in the mirror. "I'm soooooo fat!" She gasps, dramatically. I laugh. "You're fat? I'm fat." I mutter, sitting on the bed. "Tell your mom to cut back when she makes Thanksgiving dinner." She says, smirking and looking at me through the mirror. "I'll make it a point." I say, smirking sarcastically. She walks over where we kiss. I pull her onto my lap, us making out. She tosses my hat, her fingers running through my hair, my hands on her back. Her hands fall to my chest, as we kiss she unbuttons my shirt.

*the next morning*

I'm awoken when she kisses my lips. "I'm gonna go for a run. Try to get this fat off me." "You're not fat, honey." She laughs and ties her running shoes. "You look weird not wearing boots." I say, pointing at her. "What are you doing today?" "I'll probably take the boys hunting. I'll get Luke to watch Cassie. It's been forever since we went hunting." She nods and puts on her coat. "See ya later." She says. I kiss her goodbye then get in the shower. After that I call Luke and he says he'll be over in five minutes to get Cassie. I find my camo and call to the boys. "Henry, Daniel, we're going' hunting with Uncle Brantley!" I call. Henry appears in the doorway. "Actually Dad, my girlfriend Dana is having a late Thanksgiving with her family and asked if I could go. So can I take a raincheck?" "Sure, have fun, son." He leaves and Danny runs out to my truck. I put my bow in the backseat. "Ready little man?" I ask. He nods and steals my cowboy hat. "Admit it dad, this thing looks so much better on me!" I laugh and roll my eyes. "Whatever you say, cowboy. But your mama loves when I wear that hat so I need it back for later." He throws it off, making me laugh hysterically. "I am not even going to ask." He says, cringing. I smirk and drive to my deer stand. "Let's catch a big buck. We can make venison steaks for dinner." He climbs the deer stand in front of me and I get in after him. "Ready cowboy?" I ask. "Ready dad."

*2 hours later*

I've been sitting here waiting on a deer, drinking beer and wasting bullets. The rain and cold weather has scared everything off. I sigh. Now I can't even drive home though since I've been drinking. "Hey Daniel, we're just gonna crash in the stand for the night since I've been drinking." But when I look at him, he's already asleep. I smile and lean my head back and close my eyes, falling asleep quickly.