A couple close calls

Jason's pov

An old man knocked on my front door with my teenage boy and a couple more from up the road. He had him by the collar and said he got them shooting beer bottles down in a holler and smoking. I smiled and said, "Is that right?" "Now they won't speak when spoken to so which one hear belongs to you and I know one does cause they all came running to your back porch when they saw me coming on my Harley." I laughed and looked him in the eyes and said, "He's mine." I say, pointing. Henry smiles sheepishly. He comes inside and I close the door. "I'm not mad about shooting the beer bottles but ya don't need to be smoking." I tell him. "Oh I wasn't smoking. That was the other guys." He says. I'm sure glad about that. "Then you're off the hook cause I did the same thing at your age." Just then Miranda and Danny came home. He had a dentist appointment so she took him. "How was the dentist?" I ask. "Cavity free." Danny says, proudly. I laugh and he jumps onto the couch beside us. "How was guy's day?" Miranda asks. "Relaxing." I reply. I'm not gonna tell her about the old man and all that mess. No need to add stress. Henry gives me a look and I put a finger to my lips as in keep quiet about it. He nods and goes to his room.

Miranda's pov

My phone rings. It's Tully. "Hey bro, what's up?" I ask, sitting beside Jason. "Just wondering have you heard from Kurt in a while?" He asks. "No why?" "Ask Jason for me." He says ignoring my question. I ask Jason about Kurt. "Not since the last concert on the tour. Come to think of it we didn't talk much then either." He mumbles, looking over at me. "What's up?" I shrug. "No, he hasn't. What's up Tully?" "He won't answer his phone. I'm gonna go over and check on him." "You need us-" Jason stops me by grabbing my arm and shaking his head. "Never mind. Uh keep me updated." "Ok." We get off. "What was that about?" I ask. "Nothing." He mutters, turning his attention back to the TV. Ok? That was weird. "Whatever, what did you two do all day?" "We just hung around the house watching TV and junk."

Tully's pov

"Hey Kurt you okay?" I ask, knocking on his door. No answer. What is up with that guy? I open the door since it's unlocked. "Kurt?" I call, walking in. My eyes go wide. "Kurt!!" I scream.

Jason's pov

Tully calls me while I'm cooking dinner. I set down the knife and answer my phone. "What's up?" "Jason, Kurt's dead." The phone falls from my hand. I pick it back up. "T-Tully that ain't a funny joke." I force myself to say. "No joke. He hung himself." My God!! Kurt killed himself!! I slam the knife down into the meat I was cutting and accidentally slam it into my hand too, making me scream. "Jason! What's wrong!?" I take a deep breath and press a napkin to my hand. "Baby! Watch the kids, I have to go!" "Go where? What's going on?" She appears in the doorway. "I've got to get to Kurt's. I don't have time to explain."

Tully's pov

I pull him down but he's not breathing! I start CPR, fear causing me to panic. I have to calm down or I can't save him! "Kurt! Wake up!!" I shout, terrified. Jason opens the door. "My God!" He cries, covering his mouth, shocked. "Kurt! Speak to me man!" He listens for a heartbeat against his chest. "Did you call an ambulance?" I nod. "They're on their way." "They're not gonna make it in time." He whispers, furious. He does CPR like I was doing only he really knows what he's doing. "Kurt come on man, don't quit on me!" He yells. Just then Kurt sits up and coughs. I let out the breath I've been holding.

Jason's pov

I lay back thankfully. "Kurt what the hell were you thinking?" Tully gapes He finally stops coughing. "He won't be able to talk after that." I mutter, closing my eyes. Five minutes later the ambulance gets here. They take him to the hospital. I stare after the ambulance, shocked. Kurt tried to kill himself. Tully pats my shoulder. "You saved his life." He says, also shocked. "Yeah. I hope he'll be okay." I mumble, choked up. "What happened to your hand?" He asks, pointing. I look down at it. I forgot it was bleeding. "I cut myself. I was making dinner when you said Kurt was dead." I mutter, pressing my shirt to it to hopefully get it to stop bleeding. "I have to get back home. Miranda's probably worried." He nods and I leave.

Miranda's pov

Jason shakily walks through the door. "What happened?" I ask. He sits on the couch, looking shell shocked. "Jason you okay?" I ask, sitting beside him, my hand on his shoulder. "Kurt almost killed himself tonight. But I was able to revive him with CPR." I sit back against the couch, bewildered. "Why?" I choke out. "No idea. I couldn't talk to him. He was out of it." He says, hugging me. "It's okay though. He's okay." "Thanks to you." "Yeah, thanks to me."