07.

The events of the lacrosse game were still fresh in everyone's minds as the weekend passed. Violet had been arrested, her case being taken on by my father and the FBI, meanwhile Garrett was on the run. It scared me knowing that he was out there, but I was hopeful that seeing as Violet had been caught, maybe he was smart enough to stay away.

But right now, my biggest concern wasn't Garrett or the dead pool list, it was figuring out why none of the power in our house was working.

"Why aren't my lights turning on?" I questioned, running a brush through my hair as I entered my brother's room. 

Scott looked up at me from where he had been sitting on his bed, a worried look covering his face. "Sh!" He warned, standing up and pulling me into his room before closing the door. 

I looked over at him in confusion as I pulled out of his grasp, "What's going on?" I questioned, worry starting to build in the pit of my stomach. 

Scott sighed as he glanced toward the close door. 

"Scott," I prodded, "You need to tell me what's going on."

My brother looked at me with sad eyes, "Mom's having money problems again." He admitted.

I felt my heart drop at the thought of my mom struggling. She worked so hard to provide for Scott and I, but sometimes it was just too much. 

Guilt consumed me. My mom did so much, but what did I really do for her? "I'll get a job!" I offered, knowing that then I could help my mom with the bills. 

Scott shook his head, "You can't get a job, Syd. Not right now, there's too much going on."

I felt my shoulders slump in defeat as I tried to think of something else, "I'll start babysitting again." I suggested. It wasn't a full-time or even part-time job but at least I could get some money.

My brother shot me a look, "And risk putting those kids at risk when whatever supernatural enemy that's after us shows up looking for you."

Pursing my lips, I let out a sigh, "Well when you put it that way..."

A reassuring smile came to Scott's face, "I'll figure it out," he promised, "I might know a way I can help."

I looked up at him, challenging him with my eyes, "Are you going to tell me what your plan is?"

"No," he muttered, opening his door and shoving me back into the hall, "Now go get ready for school."

----

It was just before lunch when Mason found me in the halls, his eyes full of worry as he approached me. "Syd," he greeted, looking around, "Have you seen Liam?"

I shook my head, furrowing my brow, "Not since Friday night..." I trailed off, sensing that something was wrong, "Mason is everything okay?"

Mason stopped looking around, his eyes meeting mine, "We went for a run this morning. He got ahead of me, like way ahead. But I didn't see him again, it's like he just disappeared."

"Maybe he left to get ready for school?" I offered, trying to think optimistically.

Mason shook his head, "There was blood..."

My heart dropped to my stomach as all the thoughts of what could have possibly happened to Liam ran through my head, "Okay," I breathed, glancing toward the clock, "I'll go get Scott, meet at coaches office, we'll see if Liam showed up to homeroom."