53.

I stared at Mason in shocked as he looked at the three of us, clearly confused.

"It's you." Scott's voice came out as barely a whisper.

"What?" Mason questioned. When Scott didn't reply he turned to Liam and I, "Liam? Syd? What is he talking about?"

"I-" I cut myself off, not sure how to tell one of my best friends that he was the rabid beast going around killing people.

"Liam." Mason urged, worried in his voice as he took a step closer to his best friend.

Just as Liam was about to say something, Corey appeared, revealing himself from where he was camouflaged against a car.

"Corey, No!" But Scott's warning was ignored as Corey placed his hand on Mason's shoulder before they both disappeared. Scott and Liam attempted to chase after them, but it was too late, he was gone.

Silence filled the air as the only thing you could hear was our deep breathing. The only thing covering Liam's face was hurt and confusion. I grabbed his hand giving it a light squeeze. He turned to face me giving me the best smile he could muster up at that time.

"We've got to go." Scott instructed.

"Where?" I questioned.

"To find Mason, or home, I don't- we just need to get out of here." He said stumbling over his words.

Liam and I nodded as we grabbed the stuff we had dropped when we reached the car. My hand found itself in Liam's as we walked towards our car. I couldn't imagine what he was feeling right now. I was upset beyond belief, and I known Mason only a fraction of the time that Liam had. 

---

Once we got home that night, it was decided that Liam was going to stay the night. It was easier that we were all together.

"How did I not know it was him?" Liam was sitting at the end of my bed, his head in his hands.

"No one knew." I said softly, trying to make him realize that it wasn't his fault.

"What's going to happen to him now?" he wondered, his expression inked in worry over what was going to happen to his best friend. 

I let out a sigh as I moved so I was beside him, "Scott will figure it out, he always does."

Liam nodded as he looked up at me, "Syd."

"Yeah?"

"I just want you to know that-" Before he could finish, my door was thrown open and Stiles ran in.

"Where's your brother?" he demanded, clearly out of breath.

"He's in his room." The minute the words left my mouth Stiles started off down the hall, quickly stopping and then turning back around.

"You know the rules: door open." He said pointedly looking at Liam and I.

I rolled my eyes as he took off down the hall, "What were you saying?" I asked looking over to Liam.

"Nothing," he whispered, "I'll tell you later."

"Okay." I said unconvinced as I laid down, my hand and head throbbing. Just as I started to drift off I heard hushed voices from the hallway. Liam looked to me and we both stood up and approached my door that Stiles had left open.

"What, what'd I do now?" I recognized Stiles' voice instantly.

"Tell him." That was Braeden.

"You know how my mother wants to kill me?" It was Malia speaking now, that was for sure. "I think she might want to kill you too." she said bluntly.