18.

Everyone had come into see Sydney over the past hour or so, but now Liam was left alone. He had told Melissa and Scott that he would stay with her so they could take a break, they had been by her bedside all day. After protesting for a while, the mother and son duo had finally agreed to make their leave.

Liam sat on one of the hard plastic chairs by her bed as he intently watched her, scared that something would suddenly happen. He was scared she wouldn't make it. 

As he sat there, the steady beeping of the hospital machines rilling the room, an idea popped into his head.  

He gently took her hand in his and started to take the pain from her body and let it flow into his veins. Scott had showed him how to do it, but he was no expert as it was his first time trying it on a human. He knew if he messed up it could kill him, but he still did it.

He pulled his hand back and swear he saw Sydney's face relax, a smile spread onto his face.

"You can do it Syd" he whispered before he felt himself doze off.

*****

Liam had drifted off at some point, but soon enough he was awoken by a beeping , but it wasn't the beeping he had previously heard. This beeping was much louder and more obnoxious, his eyes flew open to see the heart monitor by Sydney's bed which now showed a flat line. Fear coursed through his body as he shot up from his chair, sprinting out into the hallway. 

"HEY!" he screamed as a nurse turned the corner, "My friend!" he cried, "She needs help."

The nurse started running towards him, worry covering his face,  "CODE BLUE IN ROOM 101! CODE BLUE" she yelled rushing into the room. She adjusted the bed so it was flat and she immediately started compressions another nurse ran in and started bagging Sydney to help her breath.  

Finally the doctor came in and started yelling commands, "She's bleeding out." he announced, "We need to get her to the OR. 

"What's happening?" Liam croaked as he stood in the corner of the room, his eyes stinging with tears. 

Everyone in the room continued ignoring his question.

"What's happening!" he yelled over all the commotion.

One of the nurses lightly placed her hand on Liam's shoulder, ushering him toward the door, "We need to get her to an OR. We're going to have to ask you to step out into the hall." 

"I'm not leaving her" he snapped, pulling away from the nurse. 

"Are you her boyfriend young man?" The doctor asked, turning to Liam with soft eyes. 

Liam paused for a moment before finally nodding, "Yes." he answered, hoping the lie would enable him to stay with her as long as he could. 

"We're going to do everything in our power to keep your girlfriend alive." The doctor promised before they disappeared into the hall.

Liam felt his shoulders slump. That might have been the last time he ever saw her.

And he didn't even get to tell her he loved her.