14.

Just a little disclaimer, none of the pictures or gifs I post to the chapters are mine unless otherwise stated:)

An awkward silence filled the air as Liam and I sat on opposite sides of the couch, waiting for Scott who had run upstairs to changed into clothes that weren't drenched in gasoline. After escaping from the bon-fire rather unscathed, we had received word that there had been another attempt on Brett's life, along with his little sister.

Liam was the first one to speak since we had arrived back at my house, and when he did, his voice was quiet and full of regret, "I was an asshole," he admitted, turning to look at me.

I glanced over at him for a moment, crossing my arms over my chest before jutting out my chin and looking back toward the kitchen, away from him.

Liam let out an agitated sigh, "You're just going to ignore me?"

"If I remember correctly," I started, looking back over at him with narrowed eyes, "You told me to leave you the hell alone...ring any bells?" I sniped.

His faced fell as he moved closer to me on the couch, "I shouldn't have treated you like that," He agreed, his pleading eyes meeting mine, "I was overwhelmed, and on edge and I took it out on you." he explained, his voice dropping slightly, "I'm not worth three million anymore...I'm worth eighteen."

My heart dropped as my jaw almost fell open. No wonder he was on edge, the bounty on his life had just gone up by fifteen million dollars, "Liam-"

Before I could finish, Scott came rushing down the stairs, two helmets in hand. "Kira found Brett," he explained, automatically handing the extra helmet to Liam, before making his way into the kitchen. "They're fine but we gotta go."

Liam and I shared a look before both standing up, following after my brother. "More assassins?" I questioned, worry hovering in my voice.

Scott didn't turn around as he continued toward the back door, "Maybe a lot more."

"Different than the one's who just tried to set us on fire?" Liam asked, his own voice full of fear.

Scott had arrived at the back door at this point, and he was already reaching to pull it open, "I think so, yeah."

Instead of following Scott to the door, Liam had paused in the middle of the kitchen, a look of hesitation on his face. I stopped beside him, almost running into the back of him when he came to a halt.

Scott noticed Liam had stopped following, and slowly closed the door before turning around, making his way back toward us with an understanding look on his face. "How about I take you home?" he asked softly, picking up the helmet Liam had just set down.

Guilt and disappointment covered Liam's face as he spoke, "I'm not like you," he admitted.

Scott nodded lightly, keeping his eyes locked on his beta, "Not yet." he encouraged.

"I don't mean I'm not strong or that I'm never going to learn to be in control," Liam paused, letting out a small sigh, "I mean everything else. You and your friends, and even Sydney, you try to protect everyone," his voice sounded sad at this point, "Have you been doing this the whole time? I mean how are you all still alive?"

Scott's face fell ever so slightly, maybe not enough for Liam to noticed, but I instantly caught the way his eyes saddened, "Not all of us are." he admitted.

I felt a pang in my chest. Of course Liam didn't know about Allison or Aiden, or Boyd or Erica, and everyone in between.

Scott cleared his throat, pulling himself from his sad thoughts as he turned to me, "Well then Syd, " he breathed, giving me a small smile, "Looks like its your lucky day."