56.

"Do you think you can keep him alive?" Scott asked Deaton as him, Stiles, Liam and I looked down at the Dread Doctor who was laying on the exam table. We had managed to essentially abduct one of the injured Dread Doctors, and brought him to Deaton with the hope that we would be able to figure out how to help Mason.

"I'm not sure he technically is alive." Deaton admitted.

"Screw keeping him alive, how do we get him to talk?" Liam asked, anger dripping from his words.

"Personally, I don't think we've utilized torture enough." Stiles confessed.

Just as I was about to argue with Stiles, Liam spoke up again, "Do you hear that?"

Stiles and I looked at each other in confusion as Scott and Liam listened. Suddenly an ear piercing noise ripped through the air, causing all of our hands to fly to our ears. I let out a scream of pain as the sound surged through my ears. The sound was crippling, I felt like I couldn't move as I watched the Dread Doctor get off the table and begin to leave.

Liam, who unlike me could move, rushed the Doctor.

"Liam no!" Scott yelled, but Liam persisted forward, causing the Dread Doctor to stick out its arm, sending some kind of force onto Liam. I watched in horror as Liam went flying into the wall, and then to the ground.

"Are you okay?" I asked, rushing to his side once the Doctor had moved toward the door. I helped him up from the ground, checking to make sure he wasn't hurt.

"I'm-" his words were cut off by the sound of metal crashing into metal as every metallic item in the room rushed towards the door, "Get down!" Liam called, shielding my body with his. When the noises had stopped, he was up and rushing to the door.

"No, stop!" Deaton called, "It's energized."

My eyes landed on the items blocking the door, which were clearly surging with energy. Liam, who must have been listening to whatever was going on outside spoke up, "They took it, they took the cane."

By they, I assumed he was referring to the Argents, and by the cane, I assumed he was talking about the cane that contained the pike that would kill the Beast.

It looked like a lightbulb had gone off in Scott's mind as he grabbed Mason's medical records that Stiles had brought in before (illegally but minor details). "Maybe, maybe there's something in here about how he was a genetic Chimera." 

"Mason had a vanishing twin." Deaton explained.

"Now we have a vanishing Mason." Stiles piped in. I rolled my eyes as Liam spoke up. 

"What's that have to do with him turning into a 250 year old French guy?" he asked.

"How does that even happen?" I added.

"Hold on," Deaton said, placing his hand lighting on my shoulder and then pointing to my brother, "Scott might have something. Mason's twin wasn't entirely gone, that's what made him a genetic chimera."

"The DNA was still there." I concluded.

"Metaphorically speaking, the DNA of Mason could still be inside Sebastian as well."

"How?" Stiles questioned.

"Life is energy, energy doesn't just disappear. The Dread Doctors may have found a way to break the supernatural world, but there are some rules that simply won't break." Deaton explained to all of us.

"So Mason can't just be gone." Liam concluded.

"Somewhere in Sebastian he has to still exist in some form. A spark of energy, a flicker of a memory." Deaton announced.

"Hang on." Stiles said, his face red as if he was figuring something out, "You said Mason said something right before he turned.

"Yeah," Liam nodded, "He said 'that's not my name'"

"He finally remember his name." Scott realized.

"Demnatio Memoriae." Stiles whispered.

"That's what they wanted, they wanted Sebastian to remember his name!" Liam pointed out.

"Scott, you know the myth of what happens when you call a werewolf by his given name?" Deaton asked.

My brother nodded. "It turns back to human."

"What does that mean?" I asked, "Someone can just walk up to the Beast, yell Mason's name and turn him back?" 

"Not someone."

"Lydia."

hey guys! sorry both of these chapter were short but i felt like they needed to be broken up rather than one long chapter! so I am now writing season 5 finale which means we will have to wait until season 6 to after these next few chapters. 

also some of you may have already heard, but season 6 has been confirmed as the last season of teen wolf :( with that said it also means the end of this story and sydney and liam's love story, i am not going to get all sappy on you now because we still have another 20 episodes of the show, which means at least another 20 chapters of protector

please vote and comment on this chapter if you enjoyed it because I am getting less and less votes and comments and honestly feel like you guys are not enjoying this book anymore. If that is the case please tell me what you'd like me to change, because i want you to enjoy reading this book.

i love you guys with all my heart 

-maddy xoxo