28.

-6 months later-

After spending most of my summer in San Francisco with my dad, I was finally back in Beacon Hills, which could be seen as both a good and bad thing. The good part was I got to see Scott, my mom and everybody else again, but the bad thing was that 'everyone else' also included Liam.

When we first broke up it was almost impossible to avoid him, I saw him everyday at school and to make matters worse he was always with Scott. Avoiding him had been the main motive behind me moving in with my dad for the summer. It wasn't that I hated Liam or didn't want to be around him, it was almost as if I couldn't. Because I knew that if I spent too much time with him I would regret breaking up with him even more than I already did. Ending our relationship was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, but I knew that if I didn't someone was going to end up getting hurt. 

But now, being back home meant that I would be seeing Liam more often. That, of course, was the way things played out tonight.

When Scott had invited me to go out to the cliff overlooking the town with him and Stiles, I had happily accepted, but I wasn't so happy when we stopped to pick Liam up.

"What do you think Syd?" Scott asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

I turned my head away from the view of Beacon Hills to look at the two older boys. "About what?" I questioned. 

Scott grinned from where he sat atop the Jeep, "Colleges."

I shrugged and pushed myself up from where I was leaning against the vehicle, looking to him and Stiles, "Just somewhere not too far."

Their senior year was approaching, meaning the two of them, along with the girls were planning for their future. I broke my heart to know that they would be leaving, but I knew I needed to cherish what time we had left together 

Scott gave me a small smile before looking up at the full moon which illuminated the dark sky.

"You starting to feel it?" Stiles asked, noticing the look on Scott's face.

My brother shook his head, keeping his eyes on the view, "No, just thinking."

"About?" Stiles prodded.

Scott finally turned to look at his best friend, letting out a sigh, "Senior year." he admitted.

"Senior year?" Stiles echoed,  "Come on that's nothing. That's easy!" 

"It's more like something Deaton told me once." Scott explained, sitting up. "You ever hear of regression to the mean?"

Stiles shook his head, "No I don't think so."

Scott looked to me briefly, and when I shared Stiles' reaction, he began to explain it, "It's basically his was of saying life can never be all bad or all good, eventually all things have to come back to the middle. So think about the last few months, things have been good right, but not amazing."

"Yeah but no one has tried to kill us in 6 months." I pointed out.

"Right. It's been pretty much in the middle for a while, which means at one point that scale has to tip one way or the other. Things are going to get really good again." Scott paused.

"Or really bad." Stiles said finishing Scott's sentence.

Silence settled in amongst the three of us as we digested this information. It wasn't really something I wanted to hear- that things were going to get bad, but I knew it was fully likely. 

A few moments passed before Stiles spoke up, letting out a sigh as he jabbed his thumb in the direction behind us,  "You think it's been long enough?" he wondered.