09.

A yawn escaped my lips as I leaned further into the chair that was set outside of one of the offices in the police station. 

My brother looked over at me from where he was leaning against one of the desks, a small grin playing on his lips as he spoke, "You tired?"

I let out a small laugh, nodding as my phone dinged in my pocket, "Yeah."  I answered, reaching to retrieve it.

Scott watched me before he glanced back to where our dad was. After the incident at the school, he had taken us back to the station with him while he filled out some paper work, "Well don't worry," he ensured, "Dad should be-"

He cut himself off, his eyes locking on the office our dad was currently in. He didn't move for a moment, and it appeared that he was listening to whatever our dad was saying behind that door. 

I sat up in the chair as I looked toward the office, "What's wrong?" I inquired, my eyes moving to meet Scott's.

My brother shook his head, tearing his eyes away from the office, "Nothing," he answered, giving his head a small shake before he looked down at my phone, "Who are you texting?"

I glanced down at my phone for a moment before looking back up, "Liam," I sighed, fumbling with my phone in hand, "He wanted an update on everything going on."

Scott nodded slightly, "You told him?" he questioned, his look becoming suspicious. 

"He was with me when I got the call from mom," I explained, watching as my brother's face darkened ever so slightly, "I told him to go home."

My brother watched me with firm eyes, "I thought I asked you to just play it safe with him for now, at least for a little while."

I met my brother's glare, not backing down, "I'm not scared of Liam," I argued softly. And it was true, being with him didn't elicit fear, but rather something else. 

Scott shook his head, ready to say something else, but I cut in first, "I know," I revealed, "About his past. But he doesn't seem like the same kid he was at his old school, he doesn't even seem like the same kid as when you first bit him."

"I want to protect you," Scott explained, "Both of you." he looked up at me, his eyes sad,  I'm just afraid that if-"

He didn't get to finish whatever he wanted to say, as the door to the office swung open, revealing my dad who gave us both small smiles. "Thanks for waiting," he breathed, "I know it's late."

Scott pushed himself off the desk, and I followed suit, standing up and following after him as he approached our father. "It's okay," Scott promised, "It's not like we'll be going to school tomorrow anyway."

My dad gave Scott a small nod before letting out a sigh, "Well unfortunately," he began, and I knew whatever he said next wasn't going to be good news. "It looks like I have to drive back to San Francisco tonight," he explained, "I need to do a review with the field office, but I'll be back as soon as I can." my dad paused for a moment, his eyes meeting Scott's, "I might have to miss the first game of the season."

I couldn't see Scott's face from where I was standing, but I could only picture the look of disappointment on his face.

Being the people pleaser that he was, Scott brushed it off, "It's no big deal." he ensured, but we all knew it was. 

My dad shook his head, "Well it is to me," he admitted, "I'm keeping my promises this time." I gave him a small smile as he looked back to me. 

It was silent for a moment as my dad readjusted the bag in his hand which contained a gun, the gun I had heard fired inside the school earlier tonight. Scott and I both glanced toward it, curiosity in our eyes.