39.

An agitated groan escaped my lips as I pulled myself out of the warmth of my bed. Scott and my mom were out- Scott trying to figure out this whole Chimera, Dread Doctor thing, and my mom was at work. So this left me to answer the repetitive knocking at the front door at 10:00 at night.

As I left my room, I grabbed the curling iron that was sitting on my desk, figuring that some protection was better than none.

The knocking still hadn't ceased as I made it to the bottom of the stairs. As I counted to three, I pulled the door open, my weapon still in hand.

"What the hell?" The words had left my mouth before I knew what I was saying.

"Nice to see you too." Liam mumbled, pushing past me Hayden in tow. His eyes briefly landing on the curling iron in my hand.

"What are you doing here!?" I demanded, my eyes landing on Liam's hand which was wrapped around Hayden's wrist.

"Where's Scott?" he  asked, running up the stairs, a terrified looking Hayden following him like a lost puppy.

"He's not up there!" I yelled, instantly becoming frustrated with the situation. When Liam continued up the stairs I decided I better follow them. "He's not home." I explained as I followed the pair into my brother's room.

"Well I need him." Liam announced, his nervous eyes meeting mine. 

"Liam," I whispered, "What did you do to her?" I asked, sparing a glance at Hayden.

"I-Nothing!" He snapped looking down at his phone, most likely to text Scott, "I just need to talk to-" He was cut off by the slamming of a door. Both of our heads turned to see that Hayden had disappeared into the bathroom.

"Okay Liam, you need to tell me right now what's going on." I demanded as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"She's one of them." His tense voice came at almost a whisper.

I stared back at him, awaiting further elaboration, "One of what?"

"A Chimera." Liam answered,  "Hayden's a Chimera."

My wide eyes travelled to the door that Hayden was hiding behind. "Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure!" he shot back, running a hand through his hair nervously. "When is Scott going to be back?"

"Well-" My sentence was cut off my the ringing of my phone. I let out a small grunt as I pulled it from the pocket of my hoodie.

"Who's texting you at 10:00 at night?" Liam demanded.

"It's just Holden." I muttered, sending a quick reply before pocketing my phone once again.

"Do you think now's really the time to be flirting?" Liam questioned, shooting me a dirty look. 

"He was asking for homework help, idiot." I shot back, sending him a glare as I moved to sit on Scott's bed. 

Liam rolled his eyes at me, just as his own phone dinged, "Scott's on his way." He grumbled, not looking up at me.

About 20 minutes later Scott and Stiles came through the door. Both of them looked worn out, like they hadn't slept in days.

"She's in there." I mumbled pointing to the bathroom, all the while not leaving my spot on Scott's bed. Liam stood by the door, a concerned look on his face.

Scott walked past the two of us, lightly knocking on the door. He pressed his face against the wood. "Hayden, It's Scott. I know that you're scared, but we just wanna help."

When she didn't answer he turned to look at Liam "I can hear her heart beating, she's really freaked out, what happened?"

"She was fine when we got here, I was talking to Sydney for two seconds and she locked herself in." Liam explained.