43.

before I start, I just wanted to say I'm very sorry for lack of updates. I finished exams last week, and then it was my 17th birthday, AND THEN my computer broke (lol nice) so im using my parents right now and saving up for a new compute. 

okay now onto the chapter :)

As much as I wanted to lean into the kiss, I had to force myself back

As much as I wanted to lean into the kiss, I had to force myself back. My eyes were wide as I stared at Liam who looked back at me in confusion. "Slow down." I ordered, pushing myself to my feet to create distance between us. 

Liam jumped to his feet as well, "What's wrong?" he demanded, worry clouding his face. 

I ran my hands through my hair as I shook my head, "We can't do this." I muttered, turning to look at him, "Not right now."

Liam's face fell, "Did you not hear what I just said to you?" he questioned. 

I nodded, "I heard it Liam, trust me. And I've been waiting to hear those words from you for six months. But-" I started, giving him a defeated look, "We can't just jump into things like everything is okay. You and Hayden were together like two seconds ago." I pointed out. 

Hurt and sadness flashed across Liam's face as he let out a shaky sigh, running his own hand over his hair. 

I gave him a sad smile, "Liam, I love you, I really do." I promised, "But we just have to think about things before we do anything."

He let out a small breath before nodding, "You're right." he announced, "Can we at least be friends again?" he asked, sticking his hand out.

I gave him a smile as I took his hand in mine, "Friends."

---

"Sydney keep that IV bag up." my mother instructed as she glanced at me through the rear view mirror. After Liam and I had rejoined my mother and Hayden, we had discovered that Hayden's condition was only getting worse. So, my mom had made the executive decision to bring her to the hospital instead. Hopefully, here she would have better resources to save her life. 

Theo had left at some point before Scott and Liam's argument, and Scott had left afterwards to go track down Hayden's sister. That left Liam, my mom and I to try and save Hayden's life. 

. "How much longer?" I asked,  my eyes locked on Liam who stared blankly out the window.

"Almost there." my mom responded, turning into the back parking lot of the hospital. "Okay Syd," she announced as she turned off the ignition,  "You hold the bag, Liam you get Hayden and carry her in, I'll go get a wheelchair." she instructed before disappearing into the hospital.

Liam and I did as she said, rushing into the hospital, Hayden withering in pain in Liam's arms. 

"Here," my mom called as she rounded the corner with a wheelchair,  "Set her down."  She took the IV bag from my hands as Liam set Hayden in the chair.