08.

"What did you get for number four?" Liam asked, glancing up from his notebook.

I looked through my answers before looking back up at him, "Twenty four."

He groaned, "What the hell am I doing wrong?" he muttered, throwing his head back in frustration.

A grin covered my face, "Did you divide it."

He paused, looking back down to his paper before an embarrassed smile spread across his face, "Got it."

I let out a laughed before focusing on my work again. It was a Saturday afternoon. My mom was at work and Scott was at school, the Juniors were writing their PSAT's today, so I was home alone. Well, I was up until the point that I called Liam and asked him to come over.

We had been doing homework for over an hour now, and we hadn't said much. The other night when I arrived at Deaton's, Liam was unconscious thanks to the Wolf's Bane that Garrett had poisoned his blade with. Seeing him laying on that table like that broke my heart, and ever since, an odd feeling consumed me at the mention of Liam's name. But he was my friend, and I needed to treat him like that.

"Are you getting excited for the first game of the season?" I asked, brining up the first non-school topic since he had arrived.

Liam looked up at me, a grin covering his face, "Yeah, can't wait." he answered, twirling his pencil in his hand before he spoke again, "You're going to be there right?"

A laugh escaped my lips as I nodded, "Of course. I haven't missed one of Scott's lacrosse games since he made the team."

Liam was about to say something else when the ringing of my cell phone pierced through the air. I let out a quiet 'sorry' as I reached for it, furrowing my brow as my mom's name flashed across the screen.

"Hey, Mom." I greeted tentatively, my eyes meeting Liam's

"Syd," she breathed, sounding relieved, "Please tell me you're still at home."

I scrunched up my face in confusion as I answered, "Yeah, Liam's here."

My mom sounded worried, out of breath even, "Stay there." she demanded, "Liam too."

Liam's face mirrored my confusion and I assumed that he could hear everything my mom was saying.

The two of us shared a curious look as I responded to my mom, "Mom, what's going on?"

"There's a virus," she explained, her voice quieting as if someone was listening, "It's designed to kill your brother and his friends."

My eyes widened as did Liam's, "Mom, we have to get them out of there."

"We're working on that," She promised, "But I want you and Liam to stay home. Do not go to the school do you hear me?"

"Mom-"

"-I'm serious Sydney." she ordered, her voice stern, "I'll call you when I know more."

I let out a curse as I hung up the phone, angrily slamming it down on the table beside me. There was nothing my brother could do anymore without trying to be killed.

Liam reached out, lightly placing his hand over mind as he gave me a reassuring smile, "They'll be okay." he promised.

---

Another call from my mom came close to an hour later. Liam and I had stopped even attempting to do our homework, both of us too preoccupied what was going on at the school.

"Mom, what's going on?" I questioned, not even bothering to say hello.

My mother was quiet for a moment before she spoke, "They're still in there," she admitted, "The CDC's there now."