Cupcake Girl

This is inspired by a book that I read awhile back and I really liked so...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Justin*
My son and I just moved out of Arizona and we're going to California. Hopefully, a new start will prove to be better for the both us.
Towards the end of Amelia's pregnancy, she started using drugs. I hadn't been aware of this until Jacob had started pushing to come out. Doctors say that it was his way to get away from the drugs has best as possible. He came out at 33 weeks so they kept him in the hospital for an additional 28 days. While he was there, they matured his lungs, fed him nutrients, and gave him any medicine he needed. Those doctors and nurses are miracle workers.
He came home with me and the two of us were as happy as can be. He made me smile countless amount of times and even snuggled me to sleep. I love him with all my heart.
But a few months ago, his mother asked for full custody over him. There was no way that was ever going to happen. I didn't want him around all of that stuff, he deserved to have the best life I could give him and more. His safe place was supposed to be in her womb, put it proved to be the most dangerous.
I had to reach my hands and money into some various places to get her criminal record, and record of her's and Jacob's health while they were in the hospital. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it.
Hopefully moving will allow us a fresh start, a new beginning.
As I heard shuffling in the back, I looked in the mirror to see Jacob waking up from his sleep.
"Hey bud" I said softly.
"Hi Daddy!" he exclaimed in his small voice.
"Did you have a good sleep?" I asked.
"Mhmm, I was running with dinosaurs and we were all on a mission, but since the mission is a secret, I can't tell you anymore about it" Jacob explained.
"That's alright, just be safe"
As we rolled down the road, to keep ourselves entertained, we sang to every song we knew on the radio and I even popped in one of his favorite Disney DVDs.
"Daddy, when we get to the house, can we eat cuppycakes" he asked.
"Okay buddy, once I put all the bags inside we'll go get cupcakes. But what about dinner?" I asked him.
"That's just a minor detail" he said.
If this boy ain't my child, I don't know whose he is then.
After four more hours and two restroom breaks, we made it to our house. It was a three bedroom and two bathroom house. It also had a pool outside of our house which great for when summer came. I put all of our suitcases and bags into the house and showed my little man around. He even chose his room and decided that the empty space should be where he played.
I searched for the best bakeries in the area and found Sweet Treats. We hopped back in the car and drove the ten minutes to the bakery.
When we walked in, the fresh scent of vanilla immediately diffused into my nose. It smelled so good!
Jacob pulled on my hand a little harder as he was eager to get closer to the case showing all of the different cakes. They were all very beautiful.
We stood in the small line and waited for our order to be taken. Once it was our turn, I lifted Jacob up into my hip so he could order for himself, something he loved doing.
My independent man!
"Hello! Welcome to Sweet Treats, what would you like to order today?" A beautiful voices flowed into my ears making me snap my head towards her. Oh my gosh was I right, she's absolutely gorgeous!
"Hello, this is our first time here...is there anything that we should really get a taste of?" I asked.
"Our specialty is a strawberry shortcake cupcake. It's a vanilla batter, with a fresh strawberry purée topped with lightly whipped cream frosting and fresh strawberry slices" she replied.
"May I have two of those and a red velvet?" I responded.
"Anything else?" she prompted.
"Yes! Can I have one vanilla cuppycake with sprinkles and a chocolate cuppycake with chocolate on top too, please?" Jacob smiled at her. Such a charmer.
I placed a small kiss on to the side of his head as he used his manners, maybe I am teaching him some of the smallest valuable life lessons that he needs.
I nodded confirming that it was okay and she told me my balance and asked if I would like to eat in. Jacob said yes, so why not.
We sat at a table in the corner of the busy bakery and waited for only about five minutes for her to come back with our stuff.
"Daddy look! Our cuppycakes are coming!" Jacob smiled at me.
She sat them on the table, already in their take home boxes along with plates and napkins.
"Thank you" I said hoping I gave her my most charming smile.
"No problem" she started walking away.
"Wait, excuse me?" Jacob said making her turn back to him and my head snap.
He motioned her down towards him with his hand and cupped her ear with his hands.
"My daddy thinks you are very pretty! He didn't say it but I can tell by the way he looks at you. My daddy is very nice, nice enough that you could have a play date and still share his toys. But don't tell him I told you" he tried to whisper making me sit back in shock.
She "zipped" her lips and walked away with a smile on her face.
We each ate two of the very delicious cupcakes before packing up to go home, as the sky was a midnight blue.
I walked back up to the counter where the beauty was still standing.
"Hey, my name is Justin. My son and I are new around town and I was wondering if maybe one day, you'd like to show us around. It doesn't have to be tomorrow or even this week, but if you ever don't have anything to do, we would surely enjoy your company. Here's my number just in case. Have a wonderful night" I gave her my last smile before turning around.
I held Jacob's hand to walk out to the car. As I looked down, he was waving to her, and she was waving just as eagerly back.
Yep, she's definitely the one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's an update! Shocking right? This is one I had been wanting to do for a while.
QOTD: How was your winter break? Are you ready for another one?
Answer: I didn't really do anything, but it was still fun. I'm so tired that I drag out of bed everyday, I definitely need another break.
Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading!
-Mikayla<3