Hospital Horrors

"I'm very sorry Miss Genesis.  They searched for hours.  They couldn't even find the remains." the doctor told me.  I was crying my eyes out.  "NO!  GET OUT!" I screamed, my voice hoarse from the smoke.  I wasn't going to believe this.  "I'll go tell your sist-" the doctor started.  "NO!" I screamed at him.  I couldn't let Stella be scared and not be able to understand this.  "I wanna see my sister first...don't tell her." I whimpered.  "Yes, Miss Genesis.  Anything else?" the doctor asked.  "Is Jen here?" I asked.  I wanted to thank her.  "She is.  I'll bring them both here.  I won't say a word to Stella.  Would it be alright if I explained the situation to Miss Lawrence?" the doctor asked.  "Yeah." I said through tears.

Jen came in first and she looked like she was pulling in her tears.  "I'm so sorry for your loss." she said.  I just kept crying and then she ran over to me.  She wrapped her arms around me and whispered, "It's okay...you're gonna be fine." Jen said trying to soothe me.  "No." I muttered.  No this wasn't real.  No this wasn't happening.  No...it wasn't going to be okay.  "I'm so sorry." Jen told me.  "Who are you and why do you care about what happened to me?" I asked, a little bugged.  I wan't sure if it was because I was in physical and emotional pain or I really wanted to know.

"My name's Jennifer Lawrence..." she started.  "Wait...Katniss?" I asked.  "May the odds be ever in your favor." she said, and then winced.  "Oh shit!  I didn't mean it like that!  I'm sorry!" she said.  "It's okay." I said as I wiped my eyes from crying.  "So your like the celebrity Jennifer Lawrence?" I asked, just to be sure.  "Yeah, call me Jen sweetie." she said as the doctor walked in with Stella walking next to him.  "Stella!" I shouted, and she came running into my arms.  At least she wasn't hurt too bad.  "Sissy!  That's her!  The lady who helped us!" she said in a loud whisper.  I saw Jen laugh a little.

"Yeah, she's also famous." I told her.  Stella swiveled her head around and let her mouth hang.  "Like a Hollywood super star!" she said.  "Yeah, it's actually where I live.  I came back home to Kentucky for my birthday that was yesterday." Jen said.  "Oh, sorry to ruin your birthday." I said a little sad that I messed with someone else's plans.  "No, sweetie you guys were fine.  But, Genesis, that's it right?" Jen asked.  I nodded my head and then she continued talking.  "How should we tell her?" she asked, pointing to Stella.  I sucked in a breath and held back my tears.

"Stella.  Do you remember what it means for someone to die?" I asked.  "They go live with Jesus and then one day we get to see them again." Stella said.  Bible school taught her well.  "Stella, last night in the fire...Mommy and Daddy died." I said, pulling in tears.  "When can we see them?" Stella asked.  "Not for a very long time, they have to go live with Jesus now." I told her.  "Okay." Stella said, really sad.  I don't think she go the entire concept of death.  She probably just thinks its like a vacation.  A really long vacation.

"So girls, I'm in Kentucky for a few days and I would like to invite you to stay with us, until we get any information about what relatives you'll be going to live with." Jen said, and that made me cry again.  We don't have any relatives.  My mom and dad were single kids and their parents were dead.  We had no relatives.  "We don't have any." I muttered.  Jen bit her lip and said something I wouldn't really think a Holly wood celebrity would say.  "Well then how about you just stay with me until the court figures out where to place you guys?  Like foster care?" Jen said.  "You wanna take care of us?" I asked in disbelief.  "Yeah, are you guys okay with that?" Jen said.  "Sounds A-Okay." Stella said making the okay symbol with her fingers.  

"That sounds great.  Thank you Jen." I said.  "Alright, well I gotta go make some calls to get this figured out.  I'll see you guys later okay?" Jen said as she got up.  "Bye." I said quietly as she left.  "She's not gonna try to be Mommy is she?" Stella asked me.  "No.  She's just gonna take care of us for a little while.  Like a babysitter." I told her.  "Oh that sounds fun!" Stella said.  She loved having babysitters, so I knew that would be a good way to describe the situation.  "Yeah, it'll be fun." I said, faking a smile and holding in my tears.  I didn't want to cry a whole lot in front of Stella, cause then she would start crying.

"Sissy will you sing?  Mommy always sang." Stella said.  "Stella, you know I'm not that good at singing.  How about we listen to some music?" I asked looking at the little radio on the desk.  "Okay." she said.  I turned on the little radio and set it in my lap.  I scrolled trough stations, pushing the buttons to tune it.  I wasn't a good singer.  I liked drawing, painting and those kind of things better and was actually good at them.  I also loved sports.  I found one of my favorite songs, and I knew Stella liked it too.  It was God Gave Me You by Blake Shelton, we loved all genres of music but pop and country were our favorites.

I've been a walking heartache
I've made a mess of me
The person that I've been lately
Ain't who I wanna be

But you stay here right beside me
And watch as the storm blows through
And I need you

Cause God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
And for when I think I lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it's true
God gave me you
Gave me you

There's more here than what we're seeing
A divine conspiracy
That you, an angel lovely
Could somehow fall for me
You'll always be love's great martyr
And I'll be the flattered fool
And I need you
Yeah!

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
And for when I think I lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it's true
God gave me you

On my own I'm only
Half of what I could be
I can't do without you
We are stitched together
And what love has tethered
I pray we never undo

Cause God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
And for when I think I lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it's true
God gave me you, gave me you
He gave me you

I was holding Stella tight and she was falling asleep.  I wasn't going to lose my little sister too.  I wanted to believe that Jen would always be there to protect us, now that my mom and dad were gone.  I couldn't trust it though.  My mom and dad said they would never leave us, and they would always be there for us.  Stella was asleep and now I couldn't keep it in.  I let all my tears fall down my face.  I was something that didn't usually happen...I was scared.

Jen's POV

I went down to the child service department of the hospital.  "I'm here to talk about Genesis and Stella Patterson.  Their parents passed away in a fire last night and I would like to take care of them." I told the lady at the counter.  She seemed really professional and didn't say anything like 'OMG Jennifer Lawrence!'.  She nodded and said, "Alright.  As a foster parent or an adoption?" she asked.  I thought about it for a minute.  I told them foster parent, but my heart was telling me to go in a different direction.

"Adoptive."